Blackberry Recipe/Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I am confused on a recipe for blackberry wine. I want to end up with an ABV similar to Tom's blackberry recipe listed in the "Recipes" section. He is using 10.5 pounds of sugar to 36 pounds of blackberries along with 1 can concentrate for a 6 gallon. Jack Keller's recipe 5 gallon recipe calls for 20 pounds of blackberries and 11 1/4 pounds of sugar. I would like to use Keller's recipe with the addition of 2 1/2 pounds of raisins. How much sugar should I use? Any comments about the addition of raisins?

As blackberries might vary enormously in sugar content I would not use the specified figures. More so as concentrate is added.
Also raisins will add your sugar content.

So I would juice the lot, add water (if needed) and adjust Sg to a level where it would bring you 11 to 12% alcohol.

Luc

this is what i just did with my peach wine and i don't think i will ever add sugar blindly to anything, homemade or kit, ever again...imho

Never add acid blindly either as sugar and acid in fruit canvary much. Usually as the sugar increases in a fruit the acid drops and it all depends on when you pick it.

I made a 5 gallon batch of blackberry today. I used 20 lbs. of blackberries plus 2 1/2 lbs. raisins. See the beginning thread regarding the quantity of sugar to use and the hydrometer had me add 10 lbs. sugar to 1088, whereas I had a backup of an additional 2 1/2 lbs of sugar in syrup form. Both recipes called for 2 1/2tsp. acid blend but to take it to .60 required 6 tsps. Without your advice I would have made a wine with too much sugar and too low an acid content.

Just goes to show you that recipes can be way off from one maker to the next depending on the fruit they use and some dont even use an acid test kit and just do it by taste. Im not fond of posting a recipe like this without telling people about that part.

Latest posts

Back