Blackberry issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I strained my blackberry wine today since I pressed my grapes. I did the blackberry first maybe 2 weeks before grapes so it's just been sitting there in the bucket, air locked.

I opened it to find the top all moldy. But SG was 1.010 so it fermented at least most of the way. I scraped mold off then added it to a new bucket with sulfite. Anything I can do to salvage this or just scrap it?

I always go to carboy at 1.020 simply to avoid this. If your wine tastes ok I would xfer to carboy and airlock. Leave "all" the mold behind even if you have to sacrifice a little of the good stuff. Add sulphite for sure at this point.

there are tiny spores that I couldn't filter out... :(

I didn't taste it. I was going to let it linger a bit, retest sugar content, then maybe look at pH and TA soon.

you should never lock down a primary, it needs to be stirred everyday at least once. Once it is down to 1.010, I would rack it off the berries and put it in a carboy and now add the airlock.

Back