Quantcast

Blackberry issue

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mendozer

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
71
Reaction score
3
I strained my blackberry wine today since I pressed my grapes. I did the blackberry first maybe 2 weeks before grapes so it's just been sitting there in the bucket, air locked.

I opened it to find the top all moldy. But SG was 1.010 so it fermented at least most of the way. I scraped mold off then added it to a new bucket with sulfite. Anything I can do to salvage this or just scrap it?
 

Loner

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2012
Messages
237
Reaction score
41
I always go to carboy at 1.020 simply to avoid this. If your wine tastes ok I would xfer to carboy and airlock. Leave "all" the mold behind even if you have to sacrifice a little of the good stuff. Add sulphite for sure at this point.
 

mendozer

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
71
Reaction score
3
there are tiny spores that I couldn't filter out... :(

I didn't taste it. I was going to let it linger a bit, retest sugar content, then maybe look at pH and TA soon.
 

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
12,054
Reaction score
1,767
you should never lock down a primary, it needs to be stirred everyday at least once. Once it is down to 1.010, I would rack it off the berries and put it in a carboy and now add the airlock.
 

Latest posts

Top