BlackBerry fermentation has begun

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warren57

Reaction score
0C65019D-A168-4961-A619-3D23C04A4DC7.jpeg C0FCC0EB-FC7A-4BE2-8339-1D786ED23522.jpeg started a batch of blackberry/cranberry from juice. Pitched yeast yesterday, today all is going well.

615292D4-74EC-485B-BD87-C607111F5DA7.jpeg Fermentation seems to have ended. S.G. at .995-.996
So, i’ve Pretty much made a batch of rocket fuel. Taste is of course very dry, mostly alcohol tasting, little to no blackberry flavor.
So before i dump this experiment in the compost pile, I’m going to try back sweetining. Never did it before, so let me know if I’m approaching it wrong.
So first a little history. Made the rocket fuel from bottled juice. (Because as a beginner, wanted to get a feel for it) Have done juice with Concord grape and it was pretty good. With the grape, it stopped fermenting at S.G. of 1.030 ( started at 1.120, with 2.5 cups of sugar added to the 1 gallon of juice, no yeast nutrients) yeast seemed to die off at around 12% and was about the sweetness I wanted.
So, when I started the blackberry/cranberry, I added sugar until I got to a similar starting S.G. (was 3.5 cups in a gallon of juice and a teaspoon of yeast neutrients) used the same yeast, Redstar premium classic. Figured it would stop around the same alcohol level, it didn’t. It has stopped at .995. If i’m Correct, I’ve made a 16% no flavor mess.
Now I want to try adding some 100% blackberry juice to try and bring back a little flavor and sugar to sweeten it a little.
So, your suggestions are appreciated. I was thinking I will start with a cup of blackberry juice and a half cup of simple sugar the taste and add lesser amounts of each until it is either drinkable or composted.
Thanks

Last edited:
View attachment 53181 Fermentation seems to have ended. S.G. at .095-.096
So, i’ve Pretty much made a batch of rocket fuel. Taste is of course very dry, mostly alcohol tasting, little to no blackberry flavor.
So before i dump this experiment in the compost pile, I’m going to try back sweetining. Never did it before, so let me know if I’m approaching it wrong.
So first a little history. Made the rocket fuel from bottled juice. (Because as a beginner, wanted to get a feel for it) Have done juice with Concord grape and it was pretty good. With the grape, it stopped fermenting at S.G. of 1.330 ( started at 1.120, with 2.5 cups of sugar added to the 1 gallon of juice, no yeast nutrients) yeast seemed to die off at around 12% and was about the sweetness I wanted.
So, when I started the blackberry/cranberry, I added sugar until I got to a similar starting S.G. (was 3.5 cups in a gallon of juice and a teaspoon of yeast neutrients) used the same yeast, Redstar premium classic. Figured it would stop around the same alcohol level, it didn’t. It has stopped at .095. If i’m Correct, I’ve made a 16% no flavor mess.
Now I want to try adding some 100% blackberry juice to try and bring back a little flavor and sugar to sweeten it a little.
So, your suggestions are appreciated. I was thinking I will start with a cup of blackberry juice and a half cup of simple sugar the taste and add lesser amounts of each until it is either drinkable or composted.
Thanks

I think you need to brush up on reading your hydrometer. Clearly, your must was not really 0.095. Did you mean 0.995? And I am not aware of any hydrometer that goes up to 1.330. I do not have a guess what was meant there.

Here is a good video on reading a hydrometer:

Typed the wrong number that was supposed to read 1.123 for beginning.
As for final reading, yes i did read the final wrong . It’s .995
Sorry about that, we all have to learn and I am trying.

Last edited:
Pretty much most fruit wine will have more flavor when at least a little back-sweetening is done. With a higher ABV you can turn your "rocket fuel" into a great dessert wine. Simple approach is to age until completely clear, at least 6-9 months, the stabilize. As you age it of course you should be racking it every 3 months and dosing with K-META at those times.

After aging do your last rack and dose with K-META and potassium sorbate.

Wait a week.

Draw 8oz and sweeten to taste. * Normally I use a simple syrup (2:1) to back sweeten that way the sugar is fully dissolved.
Remember a dessert wine is normally sweeter. Stop just short of a perfect taste.
I normally wait one more week an bottle.

Certainly no need to dump it just because of a higher than planned ABV.

Pretty much most fruit wine will have more flavor when at least a little back-sweetening is done. With a higher ABV you can turn your "rocket fuel" into a great dessert wine. Simple approach is to age until completely clear, at least 6-9 months, the stabilize. As you age it of course you should be racking it every 3 months and dosing with K-META at those times.

After aging do your last rack and dose with K-META and potassium sorbate.

Wait a week.

Draw 8oz and sweeten to taste. * Normally I use a simple syrup (2:1) to back sweeten that way the sugar is fully dissolved.
Remember a dessert wine is normally sweeter. Stop just short of a perfect taste.
I normally wait one more week an bottle.

Certainly no need to dump it just because of a higher than planned ABV.

Thanks, I didn’t know if it could be saved!

Take a very small sample (2oz) and sweeten it a bit - see if that brings out some flavor.
I will see how that does the next racking. As I loose a little each racking, I’ve been topping off with water. I bought a bottle of white grape to use for that, but I see it contains potassium metasulphite as a preservative, so haven’t used it yet. Guess it wouldn’t matter at this stage? What would you recommend using?

You could also fortify your wine with brandy, bringing the ABV up over 20% or more, no worries of fermentation renewing whether you add sugar or not........
View attachment 53187

Ha ha, no no, I’m old, I don’t need that. I think i’m Allergic, it makes me break out. (Break out...windows, doors,....ha ha)
Just a nice sweet desert type wine around 12% would be just fine!

View attachment 53181 Fermentation seems to have ended. S.G. at .995-.996
So first a little history. Made the rocket fuel from bottled juice. (Because as a beginner, wanted to get a feel for it) Have done juice with Concord grape and it was pretty good. With the grape, it stopped fermenting at S.G. of 1.030 ( started at 1.120, with 2.5 cups of sugar added to the 1 gallon of juice, no yeast nutrients) yeast seemed to die off at around 12% and was about the sweetness I wanted.
So, when I started the blackberry/cranberry, I added sugar until I got to a similar starting S.G. (was 3.5 cups in a gallon of juice and a teaspoon of yeast neutrients) used the same yeast, Redstar premium classic. Figured it would stop around the same alcohol level, it didn’t. It has stopped at .995. If i’m Correct, I’ve made a 16% no flavor mess.
Thanks

Do you think adding some blackberry is worth while? It doesn’t really have any berry flavor right now.
Personal preference, , mine would be to always up the fruit flavors.
Don’t remember how old your ferment was. , , at less than 6 months I have had refermentation unless Sorbated and even then put one in a contest that got carbonated. Currently I try to wait 9 months to a year before adding anything that can referment and then skip Sorbate.

Personal preference, , mine would be to always up the fruit flavors.
Don’t remember how old your ferment was. , , at less than 6 months I have had refermentation unless Sorbated and even then put one in a contest that got carbonated. Currently I try to wait 9 months to a year before adding anything that can referment and then skip Sorbate.

Thanks for the info.
My fermentation is new, about a month old. I will certainly be waiting a while as you and others have recommended.

Latest posts

Back