blackberry/elderberry mix

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we got off topic from elders and blackberries I am going to keep it a little off topic. Hope you don't mind, Rich. Daughter gave me a blackberry plant 4 years ago. Last year itproduced 78 berries and Kathy counted and ate every on of them. I had to cut a branch off it and took a piece of it and set it in

AFAIK, this fat-fingered response is the only one of 4,996 that did not end with the word "Arne." :D

Darn fat fingers. set it in a glass of water on the kitchen window sill. It proced to loose its leave and left us with a stick. Was in with some other cuttings and left it. The other day Kathy said the blackberry had roots and leaves. Put it ina small pot today and back in the window. My question is the plant was thornless, will the new plant be thornless also assuming I can keep it alive? Arne.
yep should, all thornless blackberries come from the collage in North West Arkansas, i have a few, good eating, but all my blackberry wines are from wild blackberry,,, wild blackberries make the best wine, I put on 2 pair of britches a couple 3 long sleeve shirts and tight fitting leather gloves,
Richard

Darn fat fingers. set it in a glass of water on the kitchen window sill. It proced to loose its leave and left us with a stick. Was in with some other cuttings and left it. The other day Kathy said the blackberry had roots and leaves. Put it ina small pot today and back in the window. My question is the plant was thornless, will the new plant be thornless also assuming I can keep it alive? Arne.
the best way i know is i get some thin plastic, put potting soil in it, wrap it around the cane this spring fasten top and bottom with bread ties and use a syringe to water it when the roots start showing thru the potting soil cut below the plastic, sandwich baggies work great, it makes it easier to tell when the roots come out past the potting soil..
Dawg

If you let tips of blackberry canes touch the ground for a few weeks, they *will* root. Dig it up, clip the old cane a few inches up, then replant wherever.
We will find out. Bent one of the branches over and buried the end of it same day I took the cutting. Might get two plants out of this deal. Arne.

the best way i know is i get some thin plastic, put potting soil in it, wrap it around the cane this spring fasten top and bottom with bread ties and use a syringe to water it when the roots start showing thru the potting soil cut below the plastic, sandwich baggies work great, it makes it easier to tell when the roots come out past the potting soil..
Dawg
Wrap the plastic around the cane while it is on the plant or cut it off? Read it again, while on the plant. Will try this this spring. Arne.

Not above freezing but the sun is shining. Melting a little of the snow, maybe one of these days we will get to plant things again. Arne. Just noticed after posting, been on here a long time. 5000 posts. Hope to be around for another 5000. Arne.

Not above freezing but the sun is shining. Melting a little of the snow, maybe one of these days we will get to plant things again. Arne. Just noticed after posting, been on here a long time. 5000 posts. Hope to be around for another 5000. Arne.
the lying weather people said today was to be 31-F,, nope todays high was 30-F and now looks like thawing will be shoved back about 3 days, at least till thaw,, yep here it will be a few months ,, I'm 60
Dawg

Sorry we soaked up all the heat over in our corner. I saw 36.5 once and we were above freezing for a little over 3 hours today. I've been using the opportunity to walk through our woods and cut down wild grape vines (They do not produce), wild rose bushes and any other vines.. Will have to go back out with a chain saw to finish - some of the grape vines are bigger around than my forearm.
I've learned my lesson though - Do NOT try to pull down the vines up in the trees - Dead branches and snow on your head are what you get. I cut them the ground and again as high up as I can reach.

No new ferments going to happen here until the average temp is up in the 540's and 60s. Too expensive to heat up the other house (empty) just for a batch of wine. It costs enough just to keep it at 60 degrees. That leave the basement at 50-55 degrees until spring.

Stay warm all and remember global warming will stop all this cold weather soon. (yeah, sure)

Wrap the plastic around the cane while it is on the plant or cut it off? Read it again, while on the plant. Will try this this spring. Arne.
Search for information about air layering or easiest is tip rooting or serpentine layering. This is all done during the growing season to get duplicate plants.

But red wines generally taste better at room temperature* and white wines are enhanced by chilling. I think Americans have been hoodwinked by breweries that make crap beer and lager with more rice and maize in them than barley to think that all drinks should taste better at near frozen temperatures. Those breweries refrigerate their brews because the cold makes it harder for you to taste how awful they truly are.
* and historically, room temperature generally meant that you had to wear several layers to keep warm.
@BernardSmith ,, you don't know how hard it is for me to admit this! I wonder if you are a warlock,, LMFAO,,, I've sipped country wines as long as i can remember, cold, as cold as i can get them ,, Red/White no matter, since back when i posted on here about liking my elderberry/blackberry at room temp, I've not even put a strawberry in my fridge, you used voodoo on me I'm sure ,,, I helped (fetch/toted) since i was a kid, in secret of course, my dad is 88, , dad has never tasted alcohol not even once, I was raised Pentecostal, lol ,,, that's how i snuck around to the old timers, now half a century latter, boom i drink still country wines, but dang,, I'd of never thought of drinking reds at room temp,, Moral of this story is yep,,, You can teach a old dawg new tricks,
Skoal
Dawg 😁

Latest posts

Back