blackberry/elderberry mix

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
started a new must 3 blackberry concentrates from homewinery.com, 2 lb wild blackberries and 35 lb of elderberry, 18 gallon water,
will dial in SSG tomorrow, already got pectic and yeast nutrients in it, will get my SSG correct and pitch K1V-1116 come morning,
Dawg

Last edited:
Where did you get 35 lb. of elderberries?

my yard last year , they were in my freezer, my elderberries yield better than 100 lbs a year, but I have doubled my plants, they a native to here, same with blackberries, pears, if your looking homewinery.com has elderberry i use them on what i don't grow, 3 concentrates for 2#-6 gal carboys plus and extra gallon so i can top off what i am making with the same, i've just ordered 3 strawberry which will finish 2#=6 gal caryboys and 1# sour cherry to finish in a 3 gallon carboy,
Dawg

where

Dawg, We just bottled our Black Elderberry. It was almost 2 years old made from Home Winery concentrates. It was 2 pints of Blackberry and 3 pints of Elderberry concentrates per 5 gallons. ( a little stronger than instructions) . It is awesome, smooth, fruity, bold. All our friends love it too. Roy

Dawg, We just bottled our Black Elderberry. It was almost 2 years old made from Home Winery concentrates. It was 2 pints of Blackberry and 3 pints of Elderberry concentrates per 5 gallons. ( a little stronger than instructions) . It is awesome, smooth, fruity, bold. All our friends love it too. Roy
wqw know i'm stoked
Dawg

today i racked 3#- 6's of blackberry/elderberry,,, 3#--6's banana,,, 4#--6's & 1#--5 of skeeter pee, and pulled 3 concentrates of strawberry from home winery outta the freezer,, so that will be 13 gallons of strawberry must tomorrow, i got a few days behind, broke garden, limed the pasture, frig i'm getting old, But loving every minute,,,,,,
Dawg,

yes to make my blackberry / elderberry from homewinery.com,,, i use for 2# 6 gallon carboys finish, i order 2 blackberry half gallon concentrates, and 1 half gallon elderberry, with that gallon and a half pour into ferment barrel, i use yeast energizer per instructions, pectic enzyme per instructions, and 13 gallons of well water using EC-1118 , in lime rock well, which is called sweet water, i stir with a cordless drill and a kraft stainless steel you need more mixer bit, then i as dry sugar a little at a time stirring with my drill till my SSG is 1.080 to 1.095, stir every day to put as much oxygen into my must, till my SG is down to a SG off arond SG.998, then i put into 6 gal carbys, the extra i put into smaller airlocked jars to use to top off with, if you more info feel free t contact me.
Dawg
i

Our recipe is very similar to Dawgs. To keep the math simple we use a pint of Home Winery concentrates to a gallon of must. Home Winery says to use 1/2 gallon ( 4 pints per 5 gallons). We would use 5 pints. We also use a little less Blackberry than Dawg in our blends, we feel it can over power other flavors. A fav blend of ours is 25% blackberry, 25% Elderberry and 50% Cabernet. All personnel taste. When increasing concentrates we use our Vinmetric 300 to make sure all is in line. Roy

on homewinerty calls for a 1/2 gallon concentrate per 5 gallons , which to my taste is to light, so i always use 3#
half gallon concentrates for 2,,,6-gal carbots, this gives me at start 13 gallons thats 2 - 6,gal carboys and jugs for topping of, now i keep all glass topping jars in 1 gal, 1/2 gal, 32oz and 160z now all these jugs have a tread finish of 38-400 that gives you a bung size of 6&1/2, so normal 6 & 1/2 drilled bungs to air lock, in my topping off jugs, to each their own, but i never top off with anything but what i'm making, never have, 3 concentrates per 4 and 1/3rd , that little bit really comes through, very fruity or very bearish, now if you wish to only do 1 ,6 gal carboy you can call them with your order, they will sell you a half gallon concentrate plus, a extra pint, but you have to call to do that, that's why i order 3 concentrate to make 2 -6 gal carboy , you just use 12 gallon water then 3 concentrates which gives you roughly 13 gallons,
Dawg

bottled 1 carboy of blackberry/black elderberry here while back, opened a bottle a couple nights ago, wondered what had done wrong, set bottle aside for 45 minutes with no cork, wow, this when aged more will be sipped at room temp, I'll be doing all this years new wines made it to the every year to make list,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back