Blackberry / Concord Problem...... or Normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM243

Junior
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is a problem, or normal. The wine has been in the bottle for about 7 months and stored in a cellar that is 70 degrees + or - 2 degrees F. I noticed a rust colored sediment forming on both the top of the bottle (see round circle on top of bottle in picture) and the bottom. The top is what seemed wrong...

The following is the recipe I used:

5 lbs Blackberry (Frozen from last season)
3 Cans Grape concentrate
1 cup chopped golden raisins
3 Campden tablets
1.5 tspn pectic enzyme
3 tspn yeast nutrient
Red Star Montrachet yeast packet
suger to about 1.095 specific gravity
water to make about 3.5 gallons must

I opened a bottle tonight and a half of bottle later....it seems ok to me!

Should I be worried about this, as in I need to drink it fast...... not a bad problem, or is this normal?

Thanks,
Tony

P1000165.jpg

I am not sure if it is a growth or is sediment. The fact that it is on top of the bottle is what worries me about a growth. With a slight movement of the bottle when being poured tonight, it disappeared. Wade, I added 3 campden tablets and 1.5 tspn of potassium sorbate when I backsweetened and degassed.

Tony

Wellllll...I just had a revelation as to why I might have sediment on both the top and bottom. It just hit me, that when I bottled it in the winter, I put the bottles in a closet on their side, and I am sure I would have put them label up. When I moved them to the cellar, I put the label down to keep dust and dirt off them. This would explain what I am seeing on the top of the bottles in the cellar!

I guess I just panicked....

Thanks for the responses.

Feeling dopey, but happy it's not a problem.

Tony

Back