Blackberry/Blueberry Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
Well I took advantage of a sale that Meijer currently has on Blackberries AND Blueberries today, and purchased 5# of "Black" and 2# of "Blue." $12 total is a deal by MY standards!
I plan to make a 1-gallon batch, and after perusing a number of recipe threads here, I've decided to ferment these together. I'll be testing my pH, of course, and see where I'm at as well as my intial S.G. to determine amount of sugar to add.
I've been reading that Blueberries are somewhat touchy to ferment, so my question is: it's only 2#, so with them being added to the 5 lbs of Blackberries, does anyone think I should have any concern with this fermenting well? I will use pectic enzyme, as well as some nutrien and energizer to help things along.
I am going to use the 71B-1122, and maybe a a little oak (but the jury is still out on the oak addition.) Maybe I'll wait to see how it tastes after a few months and go from there.
Thanks to all for ANY input you may have!

I've been reading that Blueberries are somewhat touchy to ferment,

I haven't had any trouble getting blueberries to ferment. You want to watch the pH and make sure it's over 3.1. Blackberries and blueberries can be somewhat acidic so it's good to have some bicarb or calcium carbonate handy

Keep in mind that with 5 # of Blackberries vs 2 # of blueberries - it will take a very discriminating set of taste buds to detect the blueberry flavor. Blackberries will totally dominate the flavor of the wine.

Understand that if you use domesticated blackberries with higher water content the flavors might balance out better with a 50/50 mix. BUT with wild blackberries, you'd have to go to about a 25 Blackberry, 75 blueberry mix to equaliize flavors. All I use are our homegrown, wild blackberries. Our blackberries are typically smaller than 3/4" long at most and when picked during a hot summer, they tend to have a lot less water in them. Normally I need no more than 5# per gallon for a solid/stout flavored blackberry wine.

Well this is my first go at blackberry (& blue) wine. I had made a 12-gallon batch of Dragon Blood last year but that was from frozen fruit. I can tell that these store-bought berries are light on flavor. Already thinking that I should have used frozen for this batch, but I just had to take advantage of the sale.

Well when I said strong/stout - I meant that in the best way. Blackberry wine from these berries is one of the ones I only share with family - I only get to make maybe one gallon a year. It's great stuff and the only berry wine better is Black Raspberry wine from ... yeah WILD Black Raspberry plants. My first batch of that was with only 4 1/2 to 4 3/4lbs of Black Raspberries and it was a pure delight. Even had great legs. It did have one problem - I had to really scrub the glass carboys each time it was racked - it was that wicked strong. Alas the wild bushes have been elusive to find on our place in quantity for the last 3 years so I haven't been able to make any more.

So having said that - If you get the opportunity to pick wild Black Raspberries or wild Blackberries - Go for it... you won't be disappointed. And I would recommend about 5 lbs per gallon if they are not those big puffy 'plump' berries.

Latest posts

Back