Blackberry/Blueberry and Blueberry at .0990 what next.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roboto65

Reaction score
Both were started from frozen fruit the B&B mix I left the fruit in the primary and the Blueberry was strained.
Both started at 1.090 on Dec 15th they have been fermenting the whole time I have been gone 2weeks so about 3 weeks total, they both again are at .0990 cannot remember what yeast I used but added a whole pack to both gallons.
I assume they are done fermenting taste good high alcohol but from what I have read this will mellow with time now my question is I rack them off the primary into gallon carboys.
I have been reading Dave's Dragons blood recipe since this is there first rack but they are done fermenting what do I add to the bottle?
Dave's recipe call for 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium sulfide I have that but that's for 6 gals way to much for a gal. I do plan on racking them one more time next Monday when I go back to work just to get most of the sediment and let them clear the 2 weeks I am gone. I am in no rush but figured it would not hurt to rack once before going back.
Also going to pickup a AIO and a bunch of other stuff tomorrow from a gentleman so plan on degassing when I rack again on Monday.

Thanks Ahead

Both were started from frozen fruit the B&B mix I left the fruit in the primary and the Blueberry was strained.
Both started at 1.090 on Dec 15th they have been fermenting the whole time I have been gone 2weeks so about 3 weeks total, they both again are at .0990 cannot remember what yeast I used but added a whole pack to both gallons.
I assume they are done fermenting taste good high alcohol but from what I have read this will mellow with time now my question is I rack them off the primary into gallon carboys.
I have been reading Dave's Dragons blood recipe since this is there first rack but they are done fermenting what do I add to the bottle?
Dave's recipe call for 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium sulfide I have that but that's for 6 gals way to much for a gal. I do plan on racking them one more time next Monday when I go back to work just to get most of the sediment and let them clear the 2 weeks I am gone. I am in no rush but figured it would not hurt to rack once before going back.
Also going to pickup a AIO and a bunch of other stuff tomorrow from a gentleman so plan on degassing when I rack again on Monday.

Thanks Ahead
Yes, 0.990 means they are "done" fermenting. You will still see airlock activity as CO2 escapes over time. I would wait to add any Kmeta until after your AIO racking. You can try to estimate a 1/6 of a 1/4 tsp of the Kmeta for each of your gallon jugs. You could also add a 1/3 of a 1/4 tsp of Kmeta to a small amount of water or wine and after mixing approximate 1/2 of the resulting liquid into each gallon jug and rack on top of that. You may also like to add some Potassium Sorbate if you plan on back sweetening the wines (ie. adding some sugar to enhance the fruit flavor) as that chemical helps to keep any yeast from multiplying (think of it as yeast birth control in a strange sort of way). Hope that helps!

Right I am seeing CO2 bubbling on one bottle the other not so much but again I will degas then add the Kmeta I honestly think they do not need any sweetening wife even liked the Blueberry as is albeit the high alcohol. I had a little in a glass to taste and gave her some.

I would add the Kmeta before degassing. Most Kmeta you might have added at thaw blew off during fermentation. For 1 gallon batches, I mix 1/8tsp Kmeta in 15ml (1 tablespoon) water, then add 5ml (1 teaspoon) per gallon. Also, no need to be in a hurry on the sorbate, you can wait until closer to bottling.

Pics are always nice. :D

Yes need to figure out the pics since Photobucket took a Crap LOL I love pics also..

Ok cool since that worked I got some more pics. Don't mind the .0999 there I miss wrote that why I do not know they are at .0990 I almost thought the Hydrometer was going to sink LOL
The one on the left is the B&B mix and Blueberry on right after racking off the gross lees still a lot of sediment.
I will add some Kmeta today and rack/degas next Monday before heading back to work man they look great put a little in a glass last night and in the fridge it cleared great and tasted pretty good.

Attachments

• 20180103_075636.jpg
    20180103_075636.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180103_075644.jpg
    20180103_075644.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180103_075650.jpg
    20180103_075650.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Careful with the amount of K-Meta powder . IF you are going to be doing smaller batchs (1-3 gallons) it might be more convient to purchase Campden tablets. They are pre-measured - 1 tablet per gallon. I just crush them well and add the powder to the new carboy before racking. The racking process will do the mixing for you as long as the tablets are all powder and no chunks. Putting in too much K-meta is not the worst thing to do but not something you should do if you can avoid it.

Congrats on a good start to wine making. NOW comes the hard part tic toc, tic toxc, the waiting. So best thing to do is to..... start some more wine. Keep starting batchs every 2-3 weeks and you won't have a problem waiting.

Yes,, Campden tablets are nothing more than pre-measured K-Meta that just needs to be crushed and dissolved in your wine (1 tablet per gallon) . You can crush them and mix with an ounce or two of water before adding to the empty carboy (Just before racking the wine into it.) or you can crush them thoroughly, put the powdered tablet in the clean carboy and rack your wine into that. Either way works and there is no problem with potentially over-dosing the wine with too much k-meta.

Latest posts

Back