Blackberry and Apple wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roboto65

Reaction score
I have Blackberrys and Apples but no nutrient I have campden tablets and yeast for a gallon do I really need the nutrient just figured fruit,sugar and yeast that simple.
Will it work without the nutrient. Thanks

It probably will work but will obviously work better with a little nutrient. Do you have any yeast energizer? This is from EC Kraus:

"One of the nutrients naturally lacking in most wines is nitrogen. Having sufficient nitrogen in the fermentation allows wine yeast to reproduce more readily. The higher the rate of reproduction, the higher the wine’s rate of fermentation. Nitrogen also helps the yeast to produce higher levels of natural enzymes, which means your wine will clear and age quicker. Having plenty of nitrogen will also increase the yeast’s tolerance to alcohol.

The most common source of nitrogen is Yeast Nutrient it comes either in powder or tablet form. Yeast Nutrient supplies nitrogen to the yeast in the singular form of a phosphate. Yeast Nutrient is sufficient for make wines from grapes and other fruits that are similar to grapes such as currants and berries.

In certain situations Yeast Energizer may be more beneficial than Yeast Nutrient. Just like Yeast Nutrient, the Energizer supplies the wine yeast with much needed nitrogen, but from a wider range of nutrients than just phosphate. Yeast Energizer contains over a dozen yeast extractive proteins, along with B1 Vitamin, and di-ammonium phosphate. All are valuable sources of nitrogen. "

http://eckraus.com/wine-making-nutrients/

Nope do not have either, made some mead but used raisins worked great. Guess I need to order some and wait. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back