blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
Finally got a little rain a few days ago. 39# so far!! Plenty of unripe berries left, so with a bit of rain I should be able to sock away 100# easy this year.

Next up - Elderberries! (unless I decide to try wild plum ;-))

know what ya' mean bob. we finally got an inch last night, but i've been seeing blackberry raisins on the vine, lol.

know what ya' mean bob. we finally got an inch last night, but i've been seeing blackberry raisins on the vine, lol.

hehe ... There are a few b-braisens here too. I checked out 80 acres of them last week. 80 acres ruined.

There are a few 1/2 and 1 acre patches that are doing well though! I brush-hog paths through and pick the choice ones out of the middle :)

I've had some luck here as well. What does that amount of berries look like? I've been workin on this for a while and I'm not exactly sure how many pounds I have. Guess I'll need to get some form or a scale. ;)

before i got my scale, i was picking up my fruit in a box and then picking up my 25 lb. beagle for comparison:)

Im pretty sure a gallon size freezer bag is about 8-10 lbs of berries. The Blackberries over here still arent ready yet. I did just finish picking all my Black currant though for the first year. I retreived about 16 lbs all together of them.

I got 7 lbs of blueberries in a gallon bag once, but it almost burst. 6# was much easier and still very full.

Wade - you should cruise down this way, I've been harvesting for about 2 weeks! I found a nice crop fairly close to a water source, so it hasn't dried out as much as other places.

On my way to a jobsite the other day in Darien I noticed the raspberries were already screaming red down there, they are just coming into season down here.

I've had some luck here as well. What does that amount of berries look like? I've been workin on this for a while and I'm not exactly sure how many pounds I have. Guess I'll need to get some form or a scale. ;)

blackberries around here run 5-6# per tightly stuffed 1g ziplok. I picked up a small digital kitchen scale a while back for ~$15. Handy.

I check it once in a while on known weight items and it's always spot on.

I figure a gallon sized bag will have to be forced shut when it holds 6 pounds..
I might not have wine making down yet to call myself a wine maker,,
but blackberry picking is another story.
My left hand, the picking one is finally healed.
This season, with my brother's help, I picked 210 pounds.
If all else fails,,, use my "big butt on the bathroom scales" method to weigh your fruit or berries in the primary before you add water.
Don't forget to take out the weight of the bucket. It will weigh three pounds or so.

210!!!!!! Wow, you lucky SOB! I can see how your and would need healing as thats a freaking lot of licking!

love them blackberry battle wounds, lol...it's a trade off on the "eat one, put 2 in the bucket" deal, lol...
as long as there is no copperhead involved i can live with the rest!

I probably didn't eat a handful in all the pickin. One now adn then to see how sweet they were but that was it.
I ended up with 6- 5 gallon batches, 1 more still in the freezer, and enough for F-pacs.
80 pounds of those were with my brothers help. The tomato farm he works on had a wonderful wild patch that had run off water going thru it, keeping it nice.
All this talk about the gallon sized ziplocks had me thinking,,, what I like is when a 5 gallon paint strainer bag can't be tied shut completely. That's a good sized bag for a 5 gallon batch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back