Blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Over the past 2 weeks Ive gathered about 3 lbs of blackberries and there only really now just starting to really come about. Im hoping o get enough for at least a 3 gallon batch. Got to go pick more crab apples tomorrow.

I really wish I had the ambition to go out and search places to pick. Good luck with getting enough. Blackberry s my all time favorite fruit wine

The blackberries down south have been finished for well over a month. I have a blackberry/loquat in the secondary now, 4gals. Have never tried this combo before, should be interesting. BTW, 1 1/2gal blackberry and 3/4gal loquat juice were extracted with the steam juicer.

Elder berries will be coming around pretty soon also. i hope i have enough carboys for all this. I have to bottle a batch this weekend and could keg some beer in another 2 weeks though and do have a couple more carboys but its going to get tight on these and I really dont want to buy anymore.

Wade,
try to make a mixed batch elderberry-blackberry. That is really awesome !!!!
You would use 50-50 on the fruit.

I do not have any time at this moment (plums, plums, plums) but plan to pick some elderberries and blackberries also in the upcoming weeks as the are all around over here. Well I can always get some out of my freezer......

Luc

We'll see what I get for both, if I dont get enough blackberries for a 3 gallon batch then I will do just that Luc and thanks for the idea! Looks like elderberries will be plentiful but dont really know as Ive never made it so i dont have a clue as to how many lbs a bush will give me. Ive spotted 5 decent sized bushes so far and the berries are just starting off. Im keeping my eye on these good cause Ive never made it before and want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The blackberries are coming on here now too! :h

I went out yesterday and picked 4 pounds but then I got mugged and the blackberries ended up in a PIE! :<

I guess I'll have to sneak them into the freezer before they are seen next time. ::

Got 20 pounds of blackberries this weekend, started about 6 gallons yesterday. Going for 20 more pounds tomorrow, only have a 6 gallon fermenter though so I'll be happy with 15-18 pounds.

As I was squeezing the juice out through a bag yesterday I thought about the steam juicer or other methods, but ultimately frugality will win and I'll be hand squeezing in 10 years. :)

Love blackberries and elderberries. They are everywhere here. I'm going out picking later.

Wish they were so abindant here, I picked another 1 1/2 lbs today and they are still coming but slowly.

There are no shortage of peaches here in new jersey have 9 gallons in precess at this point >>liquid candy>>>>:)

Last edited:
Should be ready here soon and Im saving up some cash for this, ill call around this weekend to get some prices.

Latest posts

Back