Blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO I would add 5 gallons of water and then add 35#'s

That many berries will displace 2+ #'s

Really Seems like an excessive amount of water. Wouldn't that make a thin wine? Just curious as im just about ready to start a batch of blackberry myself and ive heard from alot of people on here that you can end up with a thin wine with blackberry.

What is a good ratio of fruit per gallon? also what would the ratio of water to fruit per gallon be? If im figuring this right im getting 7lbs per gallon + 1 gallon of water?

not really. you will have alot of pulp that will settle and the extra will be used to top off. Once you have a few "fruit" wines under your belt you will understand.

Well from this thread I have learned people do things differnt again. I have used 30 pounds in a 6 gallon batch, but I add water to 6 gallon mark after berries. It turns out good and not "thin". I have just learned that other people are adding berries to 5 gallons of water. Learn something every day. I like how mine turns out. Luc does not add water at all from what I have read from his posts. His wines are made from juice

I find it is simple and efficient to steam juice soft fruits like blackberry / strawberry / raspberry/ etc and build the must from that. no pushing down fruit or fretting over primary size.

-cheers

yep. Most of the fruit I get gets Steam juiced. Another nice thing is you can store then till you are ready not when the fruit is ready.

Lots of opinions on this one.
I have 2 5 gallon buckets. I will divide things up and get two seperate primaries going. (Unless I come up with a 10 gallon bucket before I start.)
Those paint straining bags seem like a good idea. Put one in each bucket before starting. Makes removing the berries easier.

I use the straining bage on every fruit wine. So easy and reuseable

I have read on other forums that Blackberry from straight juice is the best. It requires more berries but is worth it in the end. Or, why not thaw your berries, strain somewhat, see how much actual juice you get from them, add water to your 6 gallon mark and then add the pulp back in.

The recipe for straight juice calls for at least 12# of berries per gallon so with the amount of berries you have it would be enough for a 3 gallon batch - thaw the berries (in the primary so as not to lose any juice) with pectic enzyme and some sugar and go from there.

In my area blackberries are way too expensive to try this but one day....:ib Blackberry is one of my favourites so I will break down and pay the money to try it this way.

Drive over mountains and Blackberries are free everywhere Angie. you can pick a hundred pounds in 8 hours at my favorite patches. I drive to Okanogan every year for Cherries and grapes, come on over the hills for blackberries

I would love to be able to pick some but, until I get a passport, I can't cross the border....I will be calling for locations to the good berry patches when I get it though!! Lots of good places to get grapes here - we generally get them from the Osoyoos area

I get Chelan Riesling and Merlot in Osoyoos. BTW the blackberries grow on both sides of 49th parallel. They are everywhere over here in August. Most people try to kill them.

Sorry for yet another question.
I have 2 5-gallon buckets. Basically what I am planning is cutting the recipe in half. My only hang up is the amount of water. I don't want to have too much. The recipe calls for 5.75 gallons. So figuring 2.875 (not really that accurate) per bucket? I may be over thinking this.

71B 1122 because it blackberry always seems to have a ton of acid. If you screw up, there is always the next batch. I have poured batches out in the grass before

I did tests on blackberries:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2010/08/bramen-oogsten-harvesting-blackberries.html

Year 1 acid 10
Year 2 acid 8

That is a lot of difference. You can see you can not base a recipe on these figures.
So please do the measurements and adjust recipe accordingly.

I would do the following:

Freeze blackberries.
Thaw them
Mash them up further and then press in cheesecloth.

Now measure the volume.
And measure acidity.

Adjust the juice to an acidity of 6 by watering it down with just enough water.
Adjust sugar level.

Ferment.

Thats it.

You will get a full bodied wine.

Luc

Ok. Today is the day for blackberries. I found a 10 gallon bucket I plan to use as a primary. Berries are out thawing as I type and the kids are angling for some as a snack.

So..... 35lbs of berries and water will not fit in my 7.9 gallon bucket. Glad I asked before starting :h
Current sg is 1.075. I am going to check again later tonight after the berries have had a chance to soak for a while and adjust if necessary. Pectic Enzyme before bed tonight and yeast tomorrow.

Back