Blackberries and Bluerberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboytex

Reaction score
I posted this yesterday but no response so here it is again, I hope I will get a little feedback here!

I did check the recipes, here and on Jack's site but I didn't see a blend of Blackberries and Blueberries. I just poured the frozen blackberries and blueberries into a 5 gallon bucket, boiled 1 gallon of water and added 2 1/2 lbs of sugar to the boiling water stirred to dissolve and poured into the bucket. then 3/4 tsp.pectic enzyne, 11/2 tsp acid blend, 1 tsp. yeast nutrient,1/4 tsp. yeat energizer. I'll wait for 4-6 hours to take my hydrometer reading then add the yeast.........what do you think? I'll stir once a day for 7 days or until the Specific Gravity gets down to 1.030. I will strain out the fruit pulp and siphon into my secondary vessal and fit airloc. Rack in three weeks and again in two months. When wine is clear, rack again and stablize. Sweeten to taste and set aside for 30 days........drink after ?

I would suggest that you should age it 6 months to a year because the wine will improve dramatically, but if you want to drink it right after you bottle by all means go for it!

I think you need to get a hydrometer and a TA kit. Fruit can change from farm to farm so, sugar levels change and acid levels as well.
NEVER add sugar and acid blend blindly without checking levels.

When you pull out the fruit dump the pulp into another primary and make yourself a gallon and a half of Bk.Berry/Bl.Berry Rose.

Keep the sugar on the low level @ 1.070-1.080 and remove fruit after 2 days. You'll pick up some flavor but will have to flavor pak and sweeten in the end.

You should end up with a gallon when finished. It won't be as dynamic as the main wine but still okay.

I think you need to get a hydrometer and a TA kit. Fruit can change from farm to farm so, sugar levels change and acid levels as well.
NEVER add sugar and acid blend blindly without checking levels.

Tom, I have a hydrometer but that is all I have.

When you pull out the fruit dump the pulp into another primary and make yourself a gallon and a half of Bk.Berry/Bl.Berry Rose.

Keep the sugar on the low level @ 1.070-1.080 and remove fruit after 2 days. You'll pick up some flavor but will have to flavor pak and sweeten in the end.

You should end up with a gallon when finished. It won't be as dynamic as the main wine but still okay.

thanks djrockinsteve, sounds like a plan!
cowboytex

Latest posts

Back