Black Walnut Leaf Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, this is going on my to do list for next spring. A couple questions though. In the recipe above it says 60 leaves. Is one leaf considered to be the stem with all the leaflets? Does the stem go into the water as well? And I'll second the question by Bearpaw, what yeast did you use?

I was just reading some old posts from Jack Keller regarding his experience with walnut wine. He said that it takes around 16 months for his recipe to come around. Also, he used Montrachet yeast (now called Red Star Premier Classique.)

OK Dave, hope you're satisfied now! See what you started!!! :p Could be the beginnings of another mega trend like Skeeter Pee!!👍
QuiQuog has an excellent point concerning the leaves. Walnut, hickory, butternut, etc are all in the same family (Duh Walnut!) and members have compound leaves - leaflets on a single stem are considered to be a "leaf". CJJ Berry calls for a gallon of leaves and Jack called for 1 pint packed (about 40) in Home Winemaking. In this book, Keller calls for EC-1118. So what's it gonna be Oh Great Learned One; 60 leaves (leaflets removed from the central stem; 60 leaves (leaflets and the stem), or you're not tellin' without additional compensation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the old "winemaker's itch" and may have to try a 1 gal run with the old leaves - it'a a long time until spring! Walnuts here in NC are one of the last trees to leaf in spring. One question if you please, which yeast did you use? I'm becoming interested in natural fermentation but don't think I would try it on a first attempt recipe.
My muscadines are ripening and I'll begin picking in the next week or so. I used JSWordy's Moonshiner's Muscadine recipe last year and it came out well. I expect it to continue to improve over the next 6-18 months. I used several other recipes in past years and most have produced a very good wine. I let them go completely dry and then back sweeten some to ~ 1.002; others remain bone dry.
Thanks again and will keep you post on progress. That's that itch again!!! ;)
Wine maker's itch? I've got the kind that won't go away. I have a rule not to have more than two in primary at the same time. (Thank goodness primary fermentation doesn't last too long! 😄)

I've been doing this less than a year and haven't started to experiment with yeast yet. I've decided I like 71B for flower and fruit but for the black walnut I used 1118.

Natural fermentation is in the back of my mind as well. Someday, probably, because I'm curious.

Muscadine is probably one ingredient I'll never use...only because I don't think they grow in Ohio. I'm jealous.

Good luck with whatever you do!

I was just reading some old posts from Jack Keller regarding his experience with walnut wine. He said that it takes around 16 months for his recipe to come around. Also, he used Montrachet yeast (now called Red Star Premier Classique.)
I've read some interesting reviews also. Some say it may take 2 years. Some mention it can go through stages where it tastes horrible. But they all say, in the end, it's worth it.

OK Dave, hope you're satisfied now! See what you started!!! :p Could be the beginnings of another mega trend like Skeeter Pee!!👍
QuiQuog has an excellent point concerning the leaves. Walnut, hickory, butternut, etc are all in the same family (Duh Walnut!) and members have compound leaves - leaflets on a single stem are considered to be a "leaf". CJJ Berry calls for a gallon of leaves and Jack called for 1 pint packed (about 40) in Home Winemaking. In this book, Keller calls for EC-1118. So what's it gonna be Oh Great Learned One; 60 leaves (leaflets removed from the central stem; 60 leaves (leaflets and the stem), or you're not tellin' without additional compensation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, most leaf wines call for a gallon of leaves.
Walnut and Black Walnut are different animals for wine making. I used only the "leaflets" and it must have taken 2 minutes to collect them. One of the easiest ingredient harvests I've had.

Additional compensation is not necessary but would be greatly appreciated. 😁

Okay, this is going on my to do list for next spring. A couple questions though. In the recipe above it says 60 leaves. Is one leaf considered to be the stem with all the leaflets? Does the stem go into the water as well? And I'll second the question by Bearpaw, what yeast did you use?
Just the leaflets, no stem. The easiest, quickest ingredient harvest you'll ever do.

And 1118.

Spring? I know time is flying and I’d like to skip winter but I don’t have a lot of years left.
Or are you in the Southern Hemisphere?

I'm in the same boat. Someone asked me the other day if I had lived in my hometown my entire life. I told them not yet but I was gettin' close!!!;)
Reference to spring was concerning waiting until spring to gather walnut leaves.
Nope, NC but I am in the Southern part of the piedmont! Does that count?

Latest posts

Back