Black Walnut Leaf Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

VinesnBines

Reaction score
Sadly I can reach boatloads of green walnuts. If they are still usable on July 4 …. come on down! I may try the Vin de Noix. Will that count towards my 200 gallon per year max since we start with a fermented wine? (She says this with anticipation of a bumper crop of grapes).

QuiQuog

Reaction score
I grew up with walnut trees in my front and back yards. The sticky smelly mess they they made always disgusted me. And forget about running barefoot when the squirrels were breaking them into shards. Now that I’ve been away for 30+ years, it smells like home. Go figure.

I’ll be interested in your results. Good luck!

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to reading your experiences. I’m sure I could find 1 or 2 of them oaks over here if I looked hard but the only 2 in abundance here are pedunculate and sessile. I have no idea how they will compare.

Did you use just leaves or did you add anything else?
I’m curious as my favourite commercial country wine is “Cairn o’mhor autumn oak leaf”. The blurb says they add orange, lemon and sultanas to the tea and blend a “splash” of elderflower before bottling.
Just the leaves for the walnut.
I picked out a couple oaks and I'll try that later this week. Variety of red oak, high tannin, wine 2 years to maturity.

Last edited:

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you reach them with an extended polesaw? Maybe an air rifle?
I estimate the lowest branches are 25-30 feet up. Loaded with black walnuts. When I collect them from the ground I usually stop at 3 5-gallon buckets.

I have a BB gun but I don't think it would shoot that high. 😄 However, I DO have a pellet rifle that will easily pierce skin. I'll try that. Good idea!! Thanks, Bryan!!!

Vinobeau

Reaction score
Did you use just leaves or did you add anything else?
I’m curious as my favourite commercial country wine is “Cairn o’mhor autumn oak leaf”. The blurb says they add orange, lemon and sultanas to the tea and blend a “splash” of elderflower before bottling.
I used only the leaves, and I started it on 6/19/21, only because a neighbor just cut the tree down. It might be different with younger leaves.

Vinobeau

Reaction score
He says you traditionally pick the walnuts on St. Jean Baptiste day which is June 24. It is only a little past that date if you want to make some. I put a link to a recipe in my previous post.

And just reported by him:

“The walnut inside should be a clear gel. The walnut’s shell should not be solid at all. If it is, it’s already too late.”

I've made the Italian version - Nocino. Red wine, vodka, quartered Walnuts, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla & coffee beans. It is quite good!