Black Spanish grape experience?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been making peapod wine for years, but this is the first year we've got enough Black Spanish/Lenoir grapes to try making some grape wine. In all my searching I've found just one recipe for this wine, and it's, umm, sparse on details like taste, finished product, etc., so I'm hesitant to follow it and end up with something I don't like -- after three years of aging. ... Does anyone have any direct experience with these grapes? I'm wondering if they should be treated like Concords (lowering the acid thru dilution, then sweetening to bring the hydrometer levels back to where they should be), or if that's not a concern with these grapes. What say ye?

Thanks Fred. Yeah, I had to sign up for a free trial to see it, but it's a great article. Re acidity, if anyone's curious, it says: "Acidity is reported to be high, which lends structure to the resultant wines made from it. In my experience, I tend to see the acidities on the lower side, but that is in California." So I may have to dilute a bit to get something more to my palate. ... But it sounds really versatile. Specifically, since it's a dark-juiced grape, he suggests you can send the must straight to press to make a rosé, which is an intriguing idea.

Back