Black rot!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralphee

All the gear and no idea...
Reaction score
G'day all!
A little advice please?? Basically - how much trouble am i in here?
Looking up the books, this is black spot / black rot (I know the best way to avoid this is prevention, but its too late this season), and its throughout the whole vineyard.
I got caught working on a second project that took *way* too long and missed spraying twice (i was spraying fortnightly, so almost a month during the worst possible timing...). Now i have black rot throughout the vineyard - is there anything i can do?? I am moving to a spray every Monday to try and stop it from spreading further.
I was thinking of cutting out what i can and plucking leaves that are showing spots. Basically try and remove a lot of the infection to try and stop it, and spray spray spray (Captan, Switch, Phiocal, Phospot, Thiovit Jet and Bayfidan are what i have available)
And just looking at the underside of a couple of those leaves... do they look wooly to you?? Downy even?

The first season i took over this vineyard i lost one whole side and we were not sure what got into it, pretty sure it was this (that was the crop before last)
The growth of the plants is amazing and everything looks fantastic if you stand back a few feet.... but up close i think i am in some serious trouble!
Am i going to be able to salvage anything from this??

I have right royally stuffed up here - help!

20220111_204835_resized_1.jpg20220111_204940_resized.jpg20220111_204826_resized_1.jpg20220111_204908_resized_1.jpg20220111_205008_resized.jpg20220111_204913_resized_1.jpg20220111_205118_resized.jpg

What you have is bad on the leaves, the green grape looks OK so you might spray and get a crop.

In the US with vinifera/ American northern hybrids I haven’t seen as much leaf and basically no stem damage from “black rot”. I have lost half the berries and dealt with it by cleaning the disease out. ,,, you didn’t list mancozeb which is the best here to knock black rot down (60 day pre harvest interval) followed by shorter PHI fungicides.

Good luck! I spray and try to fix mine.

On the fly (no research)I see possibly downy and phomopsis but no black rot. I don't see the mummies of classic black rot. You know what to do; pull and remove anything that is mummified or rotting, spray with as good a spray as you can get and hope for the best. Missing spray for any grape is tough except in California s\which is charmed.

This is a good pictorial guide:
https://www.syngentacropprotection....34ba41-bf17-4214-a3ec-94eecf252d17&fty=0&et=8

hmmmmm, is it just me or are these grapes covered in fur? Downy even?
VinesnBines i am leaning to your call here, the books gave me a Black Rot first look, but now it could be Downy Mildew.
Neither are good..... and i am looking at cutting out a lot of the bunches to stop the spread -any one have any helpful advice before i go all 'hack n slash'??

Attachments

• 20220113_203553.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back