Black oily substance from press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
I've been using my small stainless steel basket press for pressing apple slices frozen at around 20 degress F to make some ice cider when I started to notice a black oily substance coming out between the post in the middle and the plate that does the pressing. I think it is from the large pressure I have to exert on the press and resulting from the lubricant picking up some of the metal perhaps due to some grinding. I have been wiping it off between each pressing and some might have went into the juice before I first noticed this. Should I be concerned from contamination of the juice? Sometimes stainless steel is coated with other metals such as zinc, carbon, etc. Would a small amount settle to the bottom with the rest of the fruit residues?

Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

Rob S

I've had a similar problem and cut a food grade bucket lid down to just a hair smaller than the press disc. Then sanitize it before use. Place that between your fruit and the press disc.

Great idea, thanks Scooter68. Did the remainder of the apples this morning and this time I was ready and wiped anything that appeared.

Back