Black Currants Steam Juiced

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
We steam juiced 35 pounds of black currants to yield 3 gallons of must. Using the NaOH test for acid, it had a TA of 2.03%. I diluted it up to 5 gallons and now its at 1.58%. Its pretty tart. I used 71B-1112 yeast because its supposed to eat up a little acid but probably wont matter much with this high an acid and in currants. So now I have 60% juice, most black currant juices to drink are like 33% (like Looza). I am debating on wether to dilute this to 10 gallons to bring the acid down. If we dont we are going to have to add a lot of sugar to balance which might not be too bad anyway. Crackedcork

Sounds like a plan and good to know now that I have a source for Black Currants and was wondering what the ratio would need to be to bring this into its correct realm.

Wade, since TA is a percentage by mass then doubling the volume would half the acid mass. Still debating, as is it would have one heck of a black currant taste but maybe that would even be too rich. MIght even just just stretch it out to 8 gallons dropping the acid theoretically to about 1.0. Crackedcork

Cracked I would thinkstretching it outto 10 gallons would work well. That would make it 3.5 pounds per gallon which is in line with a medium bodied wine from Jack Kellers site. When I get around to making up my frozen ones, I plan on going about 3 pounds per gallon because I feel the currant flavor is just a bit too strong at higher amounts. That will also get you where you want with the acid also.

I had my last bottle of Black Currant/Cherry wine blend for dinner yesterday for Thanksgiving. That one turned out very well.

Thats pretty much what I had planned with the 30 lbs of Black Currants that I will be getting eventually, a 9-10 gallon batch.

Thanks Fellows, black currants are pretty strong so we are going to go with 10 gallons for both flavor and acid levels. We did a 100% steamed elderberry juice, people say that is too much elderberries, but steaming them did something that changed the juice that made it wonderfull, not just drinkable but good. 100% pressed elderberry juice might take a melenium to age out, but the steamed stuff doesnt. I was hoping for the same effect for the currants but man you can clean silver with this stuff.

Crackedcork

dfw, Black Currant is one of those fruits you don't mind some dilution to get the acids lower. I made a batch last year with 2 cans per 6 gallon batch and I nor others care for it that much full strength. Mixed half and half, it is much more enjoyable mixed with some other fruit such as cherry wine.

The deed is done, 12 lb sugar in 5 gallons water plus some Fermaid and put it all in my extra large (15 gal) fermentor, didnt seem to even dilute the color! With the yeast starting I cant take a new TA but I am just going to assume its half for now. Thanks for the advice.

Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back