Black Currant Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
Well black currant's are not something that seems to be very popular around here but listening to Wade talk about this wine, I really wanted to try this. I found Black currant jelly at Giant Eagle a few weeks ago so I bought enough to make a gallon jug of wine. I started this on 6.14.10, sg was 1.070. I have only had to rack this once and you would not believe how clear it is, boy this stuff is crystal clear and has a very nice taste already.

My question is the acid is .75% is this too high or would this be ok?

Fruit wines are typically hard to get perfect and this is acceptable so Id just leave it. Glad you like it. How much did it cost to make the one gallons worth with jelly?

It cost $8 and didn't have to add any sugar, the sg was at 1.070. So far I really like it and if it turns out I'll be looking for some black currant bushes.

There is also a white and a red currant, has anyone ever tried making wine from these? Just curious

If you are looking for fresh currants (Red or black), and you live in or near Southwestern Pennsylvania, you can try these folks. According to their website, this the time of year when these berries are ripe. They grow them right there on their property. They also have a winery there that makes some decent wines.

http://www.sandhillberries.com/fruit/fruit.htm

Get the Black Currants as the red and especially the white have lss flavor. I have both Titania's and Prince Consort bushes and the have produced 12 lbs this year. I grabbed them from Grapeman on this forum last fall and they were around 3 years old for some but some were younger sprouts. They are said to eventually produce about 10 lbs per bush so cant wait for that. I have 18 bushes now but will have more as the years go on as you prune them and plant the clippings to produce more.

Only have red bushes here. They make a really great tasting wine, tho. Jelly is outstanding also, just have to use lots of #'s per gal. Think I have bout 25 lbs for 5 gal, my wife froze some juice a couple of years ago and will use it for a fpac. Should be better than last years, was a little weak, but nice flavor. Take care all, will keep ya updated. Arne.

Bye the way, everything is frozen for now. Will start this during the winter. Elderberries will be turning ripe soon but the chokecherries should be coming on real shortly. Hope the kids keep me in mind for the chokecherries. Have made wine with them before and was great, made it last year and not so good. Will try it again and bet it will be better. Oh and last years watermelon was bad enough smelling almost threw it out. Has been sitting since September and pulled the airlock out the other day. All of a sudden kinda smells like watermelon. Havn't tried it yet but am gonna pretty soon. Looks like I'm gonna have a plenty of melons and if last years comes out good will make a big batch. Arne.

Heres hoping yopu have a good turnout Arne. Aboutonce a year I see the Red Currants fresh in our market and I never see either of the other 2. I have tried all 3 and the Red Currant is waaaaaay better then the white bit still lacvking from the black. Asthey see. the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice.

Hi Arne,

glad to hear you did not throw away the watermelon. It does take a year before it starts to come into its own. Sweeten it up some and I think you will like this.

I planted 3 of each this past spring...red,black,and white currants.I'm probably a couple years away from a bumper crop,but sure am anxious to try some currant or elderberry wine.I will probably plant a few more of each next spring.I've been very pleased with the blueberry wine and melomels produced this past year.

Latest posts

Back