Black Currant Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
6 Gallon recipe
18 lbs – Previously Frozen and Thawed Black Currants
11 lbs – White Table Sugar
1/4 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp – Acid Blend
6 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
1/4 tsp – K-Meta
3 tsp – Yeast Energizer
5 Gallons – Water
1 Sachet – Red Star Cotes Des Blanc Yeast
Pour 1 gallon of warm water in a 7.9 gallon primary bucket or bigger.
Add K-meta, Yeast Nutrient, and Yeast Energizer and stir well. Put all fruit in fermenting bag and squeeze over primary to extract most of juices and then put bag in primary. Pour the 1 gallon of boiling water with all dissolved sugar over fruit. Fill the rest of the way with remainder of room temp water and check SG, it should have a SG of around 1.090 give or take a little, if more then add a little more water, if less then add a little more dissolved sugar in small amount of water as sugars from fruit can vary a little. Let sit for 12 hours with lid loose or with a cloth covering bucket with elastic band or string tied around so as that not to sag in must. After those 12 hours add your Pectic Enzyme and wait another 12 hours while also adjusting your must temp to around 75 degrees. After those twelve hours, pitch your yeast either by sprinkling yeast, dehydrating yeast per instructions on back of yeast Sachet, or by making a yeast starter a few hours prior to the 12 hour mark. At this point either leave primary lid off with the cloth again, place lid on loose or snap the lid shut with airlock. Punch down cap twice daily to get all fruit under the liquid level. When SG reaches 1.015, rack to 6 gallon carboy and let finish fermenting with bung and airlock attached. When wine is done fermenting, (check a few days in a row to make sure SG does not change and SG should be around .998 or less) you can stabilize by adding another ¼ tsp of k-meta and 3 tsps of Potassium Sorbate and degas your wine thoroughly. You can now sweeten your wine if you like by using simple syrup which consists of 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of boiling water or by using a juice or frozen concentrate. I typically take 2 quarts of an alike juice and simmer on stove at medium heat with lid off until its 1/3 its original size and let it cool to room temp and then add slowly to taste. Be careful not to over sweeten. At this point you can use a fining agent or let it clear naturally. Once clear, rack into clean vessel and bulk age more adding another ¼ tsp of k-meta at 3 month intervals or add ¼ tsp k-meta and bottle age for at least 3 months and enjoy. Longer aging will give you a better wine so save a few bottles till at least 1 year mark so you can truly see what this wine can aspire to.

Last edited:
No not yet. Once my bushes start to produce some good amounts Ill surely do this though amongst a port also.

Brings the acid up into the desired range. You could use a more specific acid but in most part most winemakers dont have specific acids on hand and Ill get a 1,000 posts here asking if the acid blend is ok instead so thats why almost all recipes say acid blend instead of citric or tartaric or malic.

From the info I have seen on currants, 2x the vitamin C. Can I assume that they are high in citric acid?

Hi..

Hi.. I studied your recipe and note down the ingredients and I will definitely try it at my home. I loves making wine at home and also drinking.

Some of my friends told me that wine making is a very hectic process and it requires attention. Black Currant is one of my favorite flavor and I always eats Ice Cream, shakes, and drinks with this flavor.

Thanks Wade for the recipe...

Black, red or white Flows - three pounds (1.5 kg) sugar 3 1/2lb (1.75kg) Water 1 gallon (4.5 liters) and yeast nutrients (Pectic Enzyme) Put the flows in a large clay Law and mash. Bring to boiling water and sugar until light and at the same time pour the boiling current. When cooled to the temperature of blood add pectic enzyme (nutrients), and a few days later, add yeast loosley then leave covered for 5 days in a warm place, where is a random mix. Strain pattern of fermentation bottle (carboy) and an air pocket in the form. Let stand until fermentation ceases and wine clears (usually about 3 months) then hijack steralised in bottles.

Can this wine be sweetened with Monin Black Currant Syrup? I have some Black Currant wine aging in a carboy right now and it tastes very alcohol-y. Can't really taste the fruit flavor. I made it with the Vitners Harvest juice & some red grape juice. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Jen

So did anyone else tried this recipe?? I would like to get some feedback on this guys! :h

Last edited:
I've done a one gallon batch of black currant with juice from Trader Joe. I was actually doing it as an experiment to see just how high ABV I could get it, so it really wasn't very well balanced. (I got it to about 19% if memory serves). Ended up blending it with 5 gallons of Apple wine that was kind of boring tasting, tastes great together! I'll bet it would be fabulous combo with mead.
pharmgurl, Why not mix a little in a glass and taste it? If the wine is stabilized and you think that the combo tastes good, I can't imagine why not. Take notes of how much you blended and to how many oz of wine so that you can do the same ratio with your whole batch.

I used 2 large cans of Vinters Harvest Black Currant juice to make a 5 gal batch. Just followed the directions on the can, plus added about 1 pound of raisens. It was back-sweetened with 1 liter of Marco Polo Black Currant Syrup to medium sweet & turned out fantastic!! Left in glass for about 1 year. Won a Silver medal in the Pittsburgh Wine Conference that was held recently. Wade had mentioned using the Marco Polo Syrups in the past.

Al

I used 2 large cans of Vinters Harvest Black Currant juice to make a 5 gal batch. Just followed the directions on the can, plus added about 1 pound of raisens. It was back-sweetened with 1 liter of Marco Polo Black Currant Syrup to medium sweet & turned out fantastic!! Left in glass for about 1 year. Won a Silver medal in the Pittsburgh Wine Conference that was held recently. Wade had mentioned using the Marco Polo Syrups in the past.

Al

Well sir, i have to congratulate you on impressive everyone with your wine in that conference but i was asking about who tried making this exact recipe that Wade posted here..

Wade E said:
Brings the acid up into the desired range. You could use a more specific acid but in most part most winemakers dont have specific acids on hand and Ill get a 1,000 posts here asking if the acid blend is ok instead so thats why almost all recipes say acid blend instead of citric or tartaric or malic.

Okay, so I have an acid question that's general here. If I have citric acid blend, is it the same amount as the generic acid blend? Thx

I would lower the dosage by about 1/2 to 1/2 tsp per batch if its only citric acid as the generic is a blend of all three acids.

My wife is allowing my one big fruit buy a month, haha. I thought I'd share this with folks since it's likely to be my next months purchase so I can try this recipe. Going for the 6 gallon pail. Pricy, but I really don't think that the finished wine will have come out to much. ;) How else to rationalize it? hmmmm.. http://www.currantc.mybigcommerce.com/categories/Currants/

Latest posts

Back