Black currant port.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rofl, get ready for the antithesis of what is awesome. Check out my post on the very end of page 13.

Ahh! Bummer! Well, if you like it and it is aging nicely, then I am sure you have a personal winner on your hands!

I AGREE WITH YOU THOUGH ABOUT THE LACK OF COMMENTS OR YOU ACTUALLY COULDN'T READ THEM,SO WE MARCH ON ,RIGHT? :spm

Yep, what else can we do? Live and learn.

Ahh! Bummer! Well, if you like it and it is aging nicely, then I am sure you have a personal winner on your hands!

I like it pretty well, I am still waiting to see what time will do for it so I have not given up all hope yet/.

Hi everyone,

Seth, your post has inspired me to try this. The only thing is, I am VERY NEW at this (have only made 3 kits) and am really most interested in ports. Do you all here think this is too ambitious for a newbie? I can get all the supplies at my LHBS so I'm excited. I'd like to try this in a 3 gallon batch since I have 3gal carboys.

Would it improve any if I added some dry elderberries to the primary? I'd like to do this without sugar (use concentrate to back sweeten) if possible

Do any of you here know of a place where I might find step by step instructions for a newbie like me?

Thanks, everybody! I've been learning a lot here!

My grandparents had a small vineyard in the Douro valley and made port every year. It would be great if I could taunt my grand-uncle with a small bottle in a few years!

Marino

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Marino,

I do not think this is too ambitious if you do your homework before hand. Do you know what kind of port you plan on making? Fruit or grape based? Adding something like dry elderberries to the primary would not hurt. Also, perhaps using honey instead of sugar to bring the SG up prior to ferment for THIS "port" might have been a good idea.

As far a step by step, I would read this forum and formulate an action plan. Their are two main methods for making "ports" one is where you stepfeed the must with sugar till it quits then you back sweeten a bit and add spirit to bring the ABV up the rest of the way. The other way is the method where you start off with whatever your SG you choose to start with and then you add spirit until the wine is around %20 to stop the ferment.

The camp I lie in is where you ferment with whatever SG you start with (around 1.120 or higher if your fruit starts you there) and then add DECENT quality spirit to arrest the fermentation.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask or start a thread on it.

Dried elderberries makes everything better. I think I got one of your judges this year Seth, I got a meaty also, maybe oak in a fruit wine confused them :) WVMJ

This years notes and last years notes are way off, previous years we had good reviews where we could actually see what they were talking about, but the last 2 years have changed some how, no idea why but the only critique we could see being real was maybe a bit much KM in one cider, we had blended several and hit it with a little KM before bottling, but meaty like a jerky treat is way off, cant wait to send them our capsicumel, probably dock it for having a pepper taste:) I am also curious why they had 4500 entries before but only 3100 this year, maybe others thought their reviews were way off?? Maybe the economy? Doubt it with winemakers. WVMJ

Thanks, everyone.

Seth, now I just have to go figure out what homework I need to get done. I only want to make 3 gallons so I guess I'll get a can and ask the guy at LHBS what he suggests and start homework from there, come back here and study your recipe. I'll be back!

M

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Just FYI with a port I would recommend you make a min of a 6 gallon patch. Perhaps even 10 or 12. These guys take quite a long time to age so you want to have ample reward for your work.

I will give you HW if you are willing to do it. I would first read the whole beginners sectoin of the forum. Then I would also read these threads.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f137/whole-grape-port-44373/

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f137/any-experienced-port-makers-42453/

In these threads you will see arguments for multiple methods of making port.. Come back and tell me what you have in mind and perhaps we can talk it through over PM.

Great! I've been reading the beginners' section but will return to it. I'll also read these other two and see what I can get from it. I'll PM you when I can figure out what is what. You've convinced me to make at least 6gal.

Thanks, Seth!

Latest posts

Back