Black Cherry or Pineapple?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting another 5 gallon batch on Friday and I was thinking either black cherry or pineapple. Has anyone done either of them or maybe have a recipe. I have also heard if you do 100% black cherries and not mix them with tart cherries the flavor can be weak? can anyone confirm if this is true? Thank you in advanced for all the help!

I've heard/read the same thing, and I can testify that the 3 lbs/gallon I used in my initial attempt at elderberry/cherry wine was wholly insufficient.

I'm planning an attempt at a dry cherry wine in the next few weeks - a 3-gallon batch using the items shown, and whatever additional sugar might be needed to reach a starting gravity of 1.080.

Yeast-wise, I haven't decided between 71B, Montrachet, or RC212.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, I think I will do 20-25 lb mixed 80% black cherries 20% tart for a 5 gallon. Can I ask about your yeast choices and why? so far I've only used the ec-1118 and get good results, any information on that would be very helpful as well.

I'm still pretty new at this game, but from everything I've read, 71B is noted for bringing out fruit flavors, and is a pretty popular yeast for fruit wines in general. I've also read that some folks like Montrachet specifically for cherry wine. And RC212 is noted for bringing out varietal fruit flavors and intense red color in red grapes and other red/dark fruits.

I just bottled some cherry melomel, and I ended up using 100% cherry juice. (It was tart cherry juice from Trader Joes.) I had considered not going 100%juice and had tried to calculate out what 3-5 lbs of cherries would like like when converting to juice. I had several people convince me that the flavor would be better just going straight juice. I think I could have used some water, as it's expensive going 100% juice, but I have no idea where the break point is that more juice is overkill.

But in my apple wine/cyser I like to back sweeten with concentrate, so it comes out to more than "100%" juice now that I think about it! I do know I like doing 1 gallon batches for the most part so if I make one I don't like there's not too much. I only have a few recipes I'm ready to scale up to 3 or 5 gallons on.

So I have decided to go with the pineapple as there was a good sale on. The recipe I used I did alter a little so this is what I did.
  • 14 14-oz cans crushed pineapple ( and 3 can of sliced I just had kicking around)
  • 12 lbs corn sugar
  • 5 11.5 oz can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice frozen concentrate
  • 16.5 L water
  • 5 tsp acid blend
  • 5 crushed Campden tablet
  • 2.5 tsp pectic enzyme
  • 1.25 tsp tannin
  • 5 tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1 pkt 71B wine yeast

So I couldn't find any frozen concentrate and due to my excitement of starting this one I read over the white grape part :eek:
What I ended up buying was a 1L 100% grape juice that was purple in color not really thinking. Last night I got everything in the primary and added the juice last, needless to say this will be a purple pineapple wine! Will pitch the yeast tonight and keep everyone up to date. Smells very very pineappley!

Update: First day there was little to no activity, but the second day it was going very strong to the point were it was foaming onto the floor! After 5 days in primary I took an SG reading and was sitting at 1.01 so I racked to secondary. It was pretty gray in colour and I was getting a little nervous because of how unappetizing it looked but after a few days it has now started to settle out and the purple colour is coming back. About an inch of fine lees already on the bottom, I will keep you up to date on the taste after I rack it off again.

Two years ago I did a similar wine to your original recipe and it made a very good white wine. Only difference was I had frozen pineapples. I have one 1.5l bottle left that will get consumed soon.

Several weeks ago I started a batch with 15 lbs frozen pineapples and 64 oz of pear concentrate. The smell pre and during ferment was amazing. Will taste after secondary.

Good luck.

Sounds to me like your going to have a very nice wine! Please do let us know how it goes.

I am starting another 5 gallon batch on Friday and I was thinking either black cherry or pineapple. Has anyone done either of them or maybe have a recipe. I have also heard if you do 100% black cherries and not mix them with tart cherries the flavor can be weak? can anyone confirm if this is true? Thank you in advanced for all the help!

I did an Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine that is extremely popular. I used Lime juice as the base, then pineapple and mangos. The pineapple is overpowering strong, so if you do it. Definitely more mango than pineapple.

Fxnjivaw9r2IgGPFnubPsc15_vUIhgOy3o76z-j4Kowb_LDdmXXPRLYVPyy6L9O2c3JUQT1b78BmOxrWE6nB3z67aWuyoAq2JV_4QTnSnDs_LXVKyxoPqeKurQSz2ucgLZOXBPZ1K0OerA4O2BWztiPbJJmSHrSImNB4SGC6-PHPmz51PqRjxrfPz1WsXw4hI9JfCswjbOnkx5Hj9W03knp-9-dI8s0NhTeagDHJEza-DW294J8S3_vYS3nivYpDtPdwhtAG0g0rkh_-V7p1uygrT53GRrX-zelN7p6etZDvCCl7pvzIrU0Z6kU6Yg5x0L0pazt1UDfJyFOPplqCksHz5fAKKpnSQMnj6pAclozCNNTz4_9bZdenOxygeBJ38uwwJIMqacJEZXabHaGtMkXhdzhRefXWlye_k1j8ADiF4_1vQePL3nQUyqaSbN5sidyYadc5SdkEhaZw7XXxZL0zhrk5EOsWi30KbGn9mJr5R7y4k7aBPNO0zLgg4WzW9Jw83VL3RBklO2jKN7UIsqTQhm6HxTWpM0lDJk0GkM5tlZSmbl1uSo4L-b6tEJs3g0lrTDuqanuanENLiG41Y7FeDRK1rZox5qb0T5NfK1MoF3xfqadY4HkYUeynKcrvhdx6LFgcPI_n-iwZr_8D17C2cR5qajSPgA=w596-h794-no

AF1QipNDJ9_sg_idF-jfW_DFD5EJriI2NLYyrv_QjUG-

I did an Pineapple, Mango, Lime wine that is extremely popular. I used Lime juice as the base, then pineapple and mangos. The pineapple is overpowering strong, so if you do it. Definitely more mango than pineapple.

Fxnjivaw9r2IgGPFnubPsc15_vUIhgOy3o76z-j4Kowb_LDdmXXPRLYVPyy6L9O2c3JUQT1b78BmOxrWE6nB3z67aWuyoAq2JV_4QTnSnDs_LXVKyxoPqeKurQSz2ucgLZOXBPZ1K0OerA4O2BWztiPbJJmSHrSImNB4SGC6-PHPmz51PqRjxrfPz1WsXw4hI9JfCswjbOnkx5Hj9W03knp-9-dI8s0NhTeagDHJEza-DW294J8S3_vYS3nivYpDtPdwhtAG0g0rkh_-V7p1uygrT53GRrX-zelN7p6etZDvCCl7pvzIrU0Z6kU6Yg5x0L0pazt1UDfJyFOPplqCksHz5fAKKpnSQMnj6pAclozCNNTz4_9bZdenOxygeBJ38uwwJIMqacJEZXabHaGtMkXhdzhRefXWlye_k1j8ADiF4_1vQePL3nQUyqaSbN5sidyYadc5SdkEhaZw7XXxZL0zhrk5EOsWi30KbGn9mJr5R7y4k7aBPNO0zLgg4WzW9Jw83VL3RBklO2jKN7UIsqTQhm6HxTWpM0lDJk0GkM5tlZSmbl1uSo4L-b6tEJs3g0lrTDuqanuanENLiG41Y7FeDRK1rZox5qb0T5NfK1MoF3xfqadY4HkYUeynKcrvhdx6LFgcPI_n-iwZr_8D17C2cR5qajSPgA=w596-h794-no

AF1QipNDJ9_sg_idF-jfW_DFD5EJriI2NLYyrv_QjUG-
Wow I am smacking my lips just looking at your picture!

You might concider.
Looking at the cut pineapple I like the 12 oz containers of fresh chunks. The containers allow you to see how ripe it is. Start early, if there is one good one take it and freeze till you gett enough.
And maybe two three lemons. I run the whole thing through a juicer and use what comes through. Pick the seeds out first
Have you calculated sg or brix.
71b will have an alcohol threash hold of about 14%
I personally like to shoot a little under treat and back sweeten. I think its more predictable.

Latest posts

Back