black cherry kool-aid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
26 carboys? Is that where I'm going? I've only been doing this for about 6 months and I have 9. I keep telling my wife I just need one more but then....
yep, wont be long before one day you can't hardly walk in your wine room and you wonder what the heck happened, not to mention any empties call to you in your sleep begging to not them dry out,, please refill me,,,,,, lol
Dawg

yep, wont be long before one day you can't hardly walk in your wine room and you wonder what the heck happened, not to mention any empties call to you in your sleep begging to not them dry out,, please refill me,,,,,, lol
Dawg
When I first started to do this I thought I should be careful not to get addicted to drinking wine. Had no idea I could get addicted to carboys! :slp:p

Last edited:
I have a friend who does these types of things, I know that he has done Kool-Aid, but a response might be a few days. I'll ask for pointers.

It turns out that he hasn't made Kool-Aid wine, but he did say that he might use some as a flavoring if needed.

When I first started to do this I thought I should be careful not to get addicted to drinking wine. Had no idea I could get addicted to carboys! :slp:p
hey there's folks on here that's got 10 times as many or more as i do,,,, bulk aging, making lots, my state allows only 100 gal a year ,, lol
Dawg

. . . 200 if you have another person living in your household, that can put up with you. For me, it's 100 (~)!

So if you made 100 gal/yr and bulk aged all of it, would it be legal to have 500 gal aging? ie, is it the amount you actually ferment, or the amount you have on hand?
um,,,, i reckon i could keep as many gallons as i wish as long as no one year exceeded 100 gallons, all my carboys are marked for year and type , same with my wine bottle labels,,,
Dawg

as long as i have not over 100 gal marked per year,
Dawg
In Alberta, you can only have 460 litres (121 US gallons) of wine, in total, at any time. If you already have that much aging, you can’t even start a 1 gallon batch. BUT, you can also have 121 gallons of beer, and 121 gallons of cider. Guess I’ll have to start making beer and cider! Lol.

So if you made 100 gal/yr and bulk aged all of it, would it be legal to have 500 gal aging? ie, is it the amount you actually ferment, or the amount you have on hand?

The reason for the '1892' comment was to illustrate the complexity of the issue. Law enforcement would have the necessity of proving guilt or intent, however your own documentation could be used against you, and would be confiscated immediately.
Everything I read about it says 'per year', I don't know how that applies to aging though, and the amount you have 'on hand'.
I think that if a law is ambiguous, it could have more than one meaning, the 'nod' goes to the opposing party. Is is a calendar year? A revolving year? At any one time?
If (supposedly) you got 'raided' Jan. 15th, you could say that 'I only made 1 gallon this year'!

Last edited:
The reason for the '1892' comment was to illustrate the complexity of the issue. Law enforcement would have the necessity of proving guilt or intent, however your own documentation could be used against you, and would be confiscated immediately.
Yah, in Alberta, it’s moot. Doesn’t matter when you made it, you can’t have more than the limit at any time.

OK, but everything I read (and it could be wrong) says 'per year'. US only?

Searched it. It is per 'calendar year', so if I have a wine aging for two years, it's a different year vintage, and shouldn't be a problem, I think.

Last edited:
OK, but everything I read (and it could be wrong) says 'per year'. US only?

Searched it. It is per 'calendar year', so if I have a wine aging for two years, it's a different year vintage, and shouldn't be a problem, I think.
Yes, Canada is different. Every province is different. I don’t think Ontario even has a limit. Not that any of this matters to me, it’s just curious how widely different the rules are.

I think it's handled federally in the US. It's interesting that it's provincial in Canada, although with the federal agencies like the ATF, it's not surprising that it's isn't here!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back