Quantcast

Bitter Fruit Wine & Moscato Kit

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Benn

Junior
Reaction score
I am extremely new to wine making. I started my very first batch of strawberry wine a couple of weeks ago. I just got my wine into the secondary fermenter a few days ago and the recipe said i could try it. The wine is very bitter so my question is how long and should it sweeten up in the secondary and should I plan to add simple syrups when I get ready for bottling?

My next question is Moscato. The only kit I have really seen is the California from winexpert which I ordered. Is there any other recommended kits?

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
the strawberry wine is to new to judge any characteristics good or bad. wait abut three months before making any judgement. follow good so2 procedures and wait.
I would google moscato wine kits and see what you get. i believe RJ Spaniel make one and probably others.

Arne

Reaction score
Salcoco is steering you along the right path. You will probably get more answers to your questions if you post in the beginners forum rather than here. I believe more people look thru there with intentions of helping out. And welcome to the forum. Arne.

bobpf

Junior
Reaction score
I have made numerous batches of strawberry wine and find that they do require a bit of sweetening at the end to help reduce the bitterness and to help enhance the flavor. I typically just use straight sugar instead of a simple syrup. Everyone’s preference will be different, but I find a ending SG of 1.005 is nice. However salcoco is right about waiting a few months.

meadmaker1

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Treat your strawberry wine like a bowl of strawberries for short cake.
Add sugar and let it sit a while, Or its not really a treat.
I lIke to make a simple syrup with honey and the juice from frozen berries to sweeten with.

Benn

Junior
Reaction score
I did add a simple syrup and it thought it turned out pretty good in the end. I did have some extra particles but I am thinking that is from not letting it sit long enough. Overall I am very pleased with it!

bobpf

Junior
Reaction score
Also, if your going to back sweeten make sure your adding some Sorbate, but follow the recommended dosage on the package (usually somewhere around .5 g/Gallon). Don't ever use it on any wine that has gone through MLF eihter as it can create a Geranium smelling off flavor.

Latest posts