Quantcast

Bitter After Taste

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 wines in bulk, both over 14 months old. One is a Syrah/Zin 50/50 blend and the other a Barbera. both initially smell and taste fine but there is a distinct bitter after taste. If one had it an not the other it wouldn't bother me so much but both with the same flaw I don't understand. Any thoughts. I may just let them sit and see what happens.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 wines in bulk, both over 14 months old. One is a Syrah/Zin 50/50 blend and the other a Barbera. both initially smell and taste fine but there is a distinct bitter after taste. If one had it an not the other it wouldn't bother me so much but both with the same flaw I don't understand. Any thoughts. I may just let them sit and see what happens.
Hard to say without any specifics about fermentation / extraction / temps, etc., but I’ve had young wines go through similar taste “challenges”, only for the fruit to return later. I’ve thus far chalked it up to part of the real physiological and chemical changes that wines go through as they age. If you have a bit to spare, put some of each wine in a glass and taste it every hour to see if it begins to open up. Have even had some be better the next day, which just tells me it needs more time.

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I’d give it more time. We had a bitter Cab from concentrate bottled it at 18 months even though it was still bitter. Now at 3 years it’s good, time is our friend! Roy

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From your title and moniker, I immediately thought a young wine thread. To me, when the wine has good acid and still some grippy tannin, it can taste bitter. Agree with the others, give it time.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I did the taste recommendation and found it to be lacking tannins. All were juice buckets and a lug of grapes. The ph of the Barbera is 3.25 and the Syrah/Zin blend is around 6.2 averaging the 2. After I tasted it I added a pinch of Tannin Riche Extra to each glass and let it sit a few hours. It was amazingly different and the bitter wasn't there or highly deminished. There was no measurement of the tannin as it was just an idea. So I think I'll slowly add the Riche Extra or maybe do the same trail with Tannin Complex. Thanks for your responses I think they may have pointed me in a positive direction.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
When it's sat for 2 hours without the tannins it didn't change much. With the tannins it was almost immediate. But that's not to say it wasn't a time/tannin combination.

Latest posts