bit of a problem...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
I bought a carboy on our local ebay..

sizing is..53cm high x 30cm across

I thought this equated to a 23 litre..or 6 gallon carboy..

that's going to leave a huge space between the bung and the wine for bulk storage.. come on guys, I need a bit of help with this kit..

Allie

Did you measure how much water it takes to fill it up? 53X30cm means nothing its how many liter's carboy it is

I just measured a Mexican 23 litre carboy. 51cm x 28cm. On the bottom it indicated both 23 litres and 6 gallons. Are there any useful markings on the bottom of yours?

I think that the Italian 23 litre carboys are taller and narrower. Unfortunately, I don't have one available to measure. Of course, I've never seen a New Zealand carboy.

Steve

There are markings on the outside of it, from the previous owner, which indicate it will hold just over 25 litres.. so I will have to add 3 commercial bottles of wine to my kit .. or a huge amount of marbles?

Allie

Thats about 6 1/2 gallon.
just clean it good. If you have one of the "OXY" cleaners try that and let it soak for a few hours.

Tom, it's 6am here,

Have just gotten up and giving it it's first scrub with detergent, Worrying about this kit a lot hehehe.

Will try and get a pic of it after dawn. ( I have a pic of the apple problem to post as well)

Allie

There are markings on the outside of it, from the previous owner, which indicate it will hold just over 25 litres.. so I will have to add 3 commercial bottles of wine to my kit .. or a huge amount of marbles?

Allie

Well as long as fermentation is going on there is nothing to worry about. The process will produce enough CO2 to protect the wine.

After fermentation you will at first be safe as the layer of CO2 will not dissappear overnight.

So if you can rack to a smaller carboy later on there is not a lot to worry about.
Also when you plan to bottle right after fermentation has stopped, there is not a lot to worry about.

When you want to age the wine in this carboy you need to be carefull and top up.

And then you can always make wine from juice or fresh fruit and adjust to recipe to the volume of the carboy.

Luc

I have a 6.5 gallon Carboy. I use it as a primary for 5 gallon batches and basically beer batches. I have never used it for anything else though. I ferment in it and then rack to a 5 gallon carboy.

have decided to just do the finings and stuff in the current primary and transfer it into 1 gallon jars to clear and bulk store.. less airspace means it'll be safer.

the new, large carboy, will be put to good use and make more cider :)

here's a pic of my front porch at the moment.

the-apple-problem.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you have a machine for making Apple Cider :h

Hey Allie,

That does not look to me as a problem.
I wish I lived in your neighbourhood :D

Last year I picked 100 kilo:

Foto-KMHOAKCR-D.jpg

I had an easy slution for it: my living room :r

Foto-7KR6CY67-D.jpg

and Els (my girlfriend) is still smiling :b

Foto-N3TWTRJF-D.jpg

Luc

Last edited:
hehehehe Tom.. I bought a breville juicer, works out that you get 3 litres of juice per bucket of apples. Currently 10 gallons juiced and fermenting, 20 buckets worth left to juice.. on the upside the orchard is empty now and the trees are all pruned.. will take a pic later . Still harvesting raspberries and waiting to prune those down too.

Luc? Great pics :)
what did you do with all those apples? did you have to pay for them?

and.. if you have a good recipe for apple and raspberry wine.. I think they sound like a nice combination.

Allie

Luc? Great pics :)
what did you do with all those apples? did you have to pay for them?

Allie

A friend of mine got this for his birthday: unlimited apple picking in an orchard.
Now we went along (beware my friend also had a van with the same amount).
This orchard was non-commercial. Just from a friend who does not do anything commercial with it. He has about 80 trees all loaded.
He keeps the orchard from a kind of historical purpose, it has been in his family for a loooooooong time.
So we did not have to pay for it and are welcome again next year :b

All were used for wine.
Apple wine, apple mead, apple-peach, apple-elderberry and apple-blackbery. Sorry no raspberries. All aging in carboys and each week one is bottled.

Luc

What a great deal Luc lol... and you didn't even have to help prune the trees!

I might just make up a recipe for apple and raspberry wine then ..

Allie

Latest posts

Back