Bison grass wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstrick96

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a Bison grass flavored wine? Bison grass is also called sweetgrass in the USA.

I got the idea for trying this from some Zubrowka Vodka that I had in Eastern Europe which is flavored with Bison grass. Wonderful! The FDA in the USA doesn't allow it to be sold here because it contains a small amount of coumadin which is a blood thinner. I researched and found out to make it myself and what I make is as good as any I had in Poland. All I am doing is to flavor vodka with a homemade extract of Bison grass and adding a teaspoon of sugar per liter.

I suppose I could add filtered water to my homemade Zubrowka to wine strength, but I was wondering if there might be another way to make a Bison grass wine? Perhaps making a water wine and adding the flavoring?

I would treat it like an herb or flower wine. I would try one where I steep the grass in water first and one with fresh bison grass in the primary fermenter. I can’t help you with the amount but your efforts with the vodka should give you some idea.

Back