Birds eating all my grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so frustrating. You see grape clusters just 4 weeks from picking then like locusts on the prairie the descend upon the vines and start poking holes in grapes.

As the grapes go thru verasion the smell changes and attracts birds. Netting is virtually the only best defense. Even with netting, which will only last 3-4 years the birds sit on top and poke thru getting what they can. They will search out weaknesses and exploit them.

Shotgun blasts, tin foil pans, owl silhouettes, hawk sounds, cats only are temporary.

For my trellis/arbor I sewed 3 pieces together and erected. Had I not have done that I would have nothing by now.

Trim your cap back so grapes can get more sunlight then net. Put a few stones or boards on to keep wind from blowing out of place on ground.

Verasion just started in my vineyard and there is already bird loss. Net's are going on this evening after work.

I didnt net this year because I only left a few clusters. (Vines are in there secound year). The few that I left were gone in a day. NETs. There is only one way. NETs!

I have yet to have a problem with birds other than an occasional nest in the vines.

Their is an alternative, you could invest in bird eating spiders and let them nest in your vines... Lets see if the birds hang around after they see one of their friends gets its beak snared in a spider nest as it eats your grapes before it gets devoured by a hoard of bird eating spiders.

I have yet to have a problem with birds other than an occasional nest in the vines.

It depends what you grow. The little reds like Foch, Marquette, Oberlin/Pinot Noir....the birds strip them quickly. But my big whites (Cayuga) and table grapes are never bothered....too big.

Now if you are growing little reds and not having problems, just thank your lucky stars!

Nets, nets, nets....

As the grapes go thru verasion the smell changes and attracts birds. Netting is virtually the only best defense. Even with netting, which will only last 3-4 years the birds sit on top and poke thru getting what they can. They will search out weaknesses and exploit them.

As far as I know it's nothing to do with the smell but the anthocyanins that appear in red grapes during veraison. This also means green grapes should not be affected by birds as far as my understanding goes. Same as with white strawberries.

Even the green grapes will be found. Birds are always searching for food and once they find them you better get them covered. One poke then on to the next grape. Even if they are not ripe they will ravage the bunches extremely fast.

Latest posts

Back