Birds eating all my grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this type net

http://www.plantra.com/BirdNetting/AviGardFlexDiamondMeshBirdNetForRows.aspx

There are several types they make. The diamond ones with the stripes give 17 feet of net when the stripes are 2 feet apart. They go on with a netting applicator very easily. I have made both a manual and tractor mounted applicators. We put on over 20 thousand lineal feet of net this year.

You are correct! Netting is the only way I was fooled open vineyard no trees first couple years no problem this year WOW what a difference. I found a group of hunter built a dove field and you know the rest of the story. Birds have memory and feeding patterns. Don't be like me think birds want be a problem because you can't control your neighbors.

I have the 14-wide net on mine (although I'd get the 17' wide if I do it again) and bought it by the foot at a commercial orchard supply in Wenatchee, Washington. By that I mean they catered to the professionals and producers, not the home It had a per-foot price and cost me just over $67 for 150 feet. I happened to be driving through and stopped on a whim. Commercial places like cash, too!

So, if you look hard, you can find it a little more cheaply than buying it a thousand feet at a time or the price in a "garden" store.

Back