Bigger batch containers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could do that. But somebody had to pay for that keg. And we all know those don't cost 30 bucks to make. That is theft and not something I want to do. I'd end up stealing from the brewery itself as they probably are the ones that bought them. Either way money is coming out of someones pocket for my benefit. As a brewer I would hate if someone stole from my wine equipment so i won't do it to theirs.

Boy, don't I feel like scum...

My thinking was that the deposit was the same as purchasing a keg. My thinking is that this is an amount that they set where if they do not get the keg back, they can recoup their costs.

Another though is that this is no different than a deposit on a pop bottle. You would not feel the same if you simply tossed the pop bottle in the trash, so why would this be any different for a keg?

Boy, don't I feel like scum...

My thinking was that the deposit was the same as purchasing a keg. My thinking is that this is an amount that they set where if they do not get the keg back, they can recoup their costs.

Another though is that this is no different than a deposit on a pop bottle. You would not feel the same if you simply tossed the pop bottle in the trash, so why would this be any different for a keg?

I didn't at all want to seem that was directed at you. As shown in a previous post apparently some states regulate it. State to state is different. We don't have deposits on soda/beer bottles. I did alot of research on the beer brewing forums and they all agreed that while you could just pay the deposit it is just that. A deposit. While I have never worked in a keg producing industry I have worked in the metal industry. And I can't see a way they can make the quality kegs they have over here out of 304 stainless and keep it at 30 bucks a pop cost. For the longest time the deposit was a set amount. They then bumped it like 5 or 10 bucks and people through a **** show. Was ridiculous. The actual cost floats down to the breweries. Here in wisconsin alot of bigger liquor stores are taking your info down when you buy a keg. If you don't bring it back they will typically not sell kegs to you anymore. Happened to a friend of mine.

I plan on hitting a couple breweries locally and see if they have any kegs they are willing to sell to me that are out of production or something.

There are always kegs for sale in our local craigslist for $25-$50. Perhaps that is letting someone else do the dirty work and indirectly contributing to the crime against the brewery (more likely the store, because the transaction is between the store and the customer).
I have quite the collection of growlers from our local brewer, but unless I give it back to them at the point of buying another, they won't take them back and I need to pay the addional $5.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back