BIG RED

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on!![emoji106] Now we're finally getting there!

Beware, you’ll still not be making a WA 93!! I’ve done some meglioli kits using the skins from an all grape batch, real skins from a lightly pressed, like sized, same varietal batch of grape wine, which, in my opinion, is the best tweak available. Pretty good wine, but not over 90.

Most of us that have tried it agree that extended maceration on premium red kits with skins (8 weeks in closed primary on the skins), barrel aging up to 6 Months in a barrel (neutral or close to it for 6 months). Many will add additional fermentation or finishing tannens. If the kit contains ec1118 yeast swap it out for RC 212 or BM 4x4 and don't forget to use yeast nutrients.

That is in general my tweeks for high end reds, search the forums for details on any of those topics.

What other yeast swaps are recommended for wine kits?
I will plan on getting some RC 212 the last 2 kits I made both came with EC-1118 I think the RJs Select CA red blend has the EC-1118 as well.

I have a MM Meglioli Amarone on order, I think it is for March 2019, it will be my first Meglioli kit. I currently have a MM All Juice Cab Sauv that I used a skin pack on bulk aging. I am hoping these are impressive when done.
They are, but they definitely require a bit more aging than the 18l kits you're used to. These really don't start to come around until about the 3 year mark, unlike the 18 month to 2 years you're used to with the typical 18l premium kits.

So Mosti Mondiali is the a league all their own. Competition is thin at the top.
There isn't much competition in the premium wine kit market, as most people deviate from kits into fresh grapes once they realize there's only so far a kit will take you.

Ok, maybe I should start looking into grapes.,
Any suggestions?
Same advise as kits: Buy the best grapes you can afford, in a varietal you typically enjoy. Follow the agreed upon advice via the wine making forums.

Any suggestions?

I can’t believe it’s taken almost 50 posts to get to ‘using grapes is the best route to try and make the highest quality wine possible” !
Suggestions? Yes. Dive into actual research. No folded up instructions are included with the grapes. Lots of action/reaction needed. Acid/tannin adjustments based on levels. Lab testing equipment. Crush/press equipment. $$ invested. Time needed. Learning as you go.
Mistakes are needed too. And knowledge gained from em. Desire to keep improving. Motivation to locate best fruit available. (Frozen must also an option for home delivery any time as well) Patience to allow it to do its thing.
If your serious about making a high quality wine then a passion is needed to work to keep trying to get there. And there’s lots of tools available online to help with it. And to paraphrase Stephen Tyler— “it’s about journey not just the destination!”

Nicely stated, where were you 49 posts ago,,, this answers almost everything.
Guess I'll be hanging around the grape section of this forum
Thanks gents

There is a certain fallacy in using price to determine the quality. LD Carlson isn't too good with their IT and especially web design. I tried to get an electronic list so I could do a website for a friend's homebrew shop. They were cc'd in a discussion I was having with the WE people about getting an electronic catalog that I could use a script to help create the site. Way too many items to key in and do cut and paste stuff on. LD chided WE for not having that available for me. When I asked them for the same thing all communications ended.

That said LD's site isn't very well designed. If you use the front end you have to log in to get their catalog so it is 'protected' from consumer snooping. If you use Google? Not so much. Take a gander at the wholesale price that LD is charging and you know they are making a profit on top of what charge.
https://storefront.ldcarlson.com/storefrontCommerce/downloadFile.do?fileName=Chapter 4.pdf

Nicely stated, where were you 49 posts ago,,, this answers almost everything.
Guess I'll be hanging around the grape section of this forum
Thanks gents

I was there. But you had the steering wheel of the convo! Seemed like a “kit only” type thing. I’m Glad tho. Some nice info in there. And never knew about those Mondiali higher end kits. And now i [we] do. So all good!
For the grapes tho- having this forum to lean on is huge since info is essentially infinite. Especially when your not in any winemaking cliques elsewhere. And the manuals from morewine.com are great too.

Super cool info. I will still try the Mondiali just to taste the outcome while learning more about the fresh grapes route... Thanks again for everyones input. I'm sure I will have more questions about that process as well. I'll save those for another thread

Super cool info. I will still try the Mondiali just to taste the outcome while learning more about the fresh grapes route... Thanks again for everyones input. I'm sure I will have more questions about that process as well. I'll save those for another thread
Better place your order today. Just received notice that FVW is closing and only taking orders until the end of the day today.

FWV - finewinevines.com

I just got the following email from them that they are closing and no more online orders after tonight??
The Store is Closing

Effective November 30th 2018
Fine Fine Wines and Dallas Home are closing.

This has been a tough decision for Janna, her family, and the staff here at Fine Vine Wines and Dallas Home Brew. George sold his first wine kit March 3rd, 2003. Rick has worked for George for 10 years and I, Brian, have worked for George for the last 9 years.
George has had a large impact on a lot of people's lives, both customers and former employees. He has helped thousands of people get into the hobby of wine making through his advice and love of wine. He has had customers that have started as amature home wine makers that have gone on to open wineries. He has had customers and employees that have moved from home brewers to professional brewers. He enjoyed watching people grow with the hobby and took great pride in their growth.
His loss on November 2nd is a large part of the reason we made the decision to close, but not the only reason. The entire home wine and beer making hobby has been in a slump for well over a year. Many have noticed that it has taken us longer to get stock back in than it used to and sales or lack thereof have been part of the reason. George and I had talked about this possibility even before he went in for his surgery.
I would like to thank every one of our customers on behalf of George, his family and the Staff here at Fine Vine Wines. I know George, and the rest of us, have enjoyed the 15+ years helping everyone make the best wine and beer they possibly could.
Brian, Jana and Rick

Any suggestions?
possibly buckets are a good starting point for you....that's where im at now....started with fruit wines which generally are bottled in a 6 to 8 months..now im onto buckets of juice, wont know how that turns out till this coming fall though...

I'll look into it. Thanks
I've just scored me my first
Amarone Global Cuvee from FVW. Kinda wierd to make a wine that I have never tasted before..

Latest posts

Back