Big mouth bubbler...mistake?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
So, I think I made a rookie mistake. I bought two 6.5 gal big mouth bubblers for primary fermentation, one came with the kit. Then, I read the instructions on my wine kit and it says I need a bigger bucket. So, I read more and found that a bigger bucket is needed so there is no overflow.
My question....are these bigmouth bubblers a waste of money? How would I use them?
Thank you

So, I think I made a rookie mistake. I bought two 6.5 gal big mouth bubblers for primary fermentation, one came with the kit. Then, I read the instructions on my wine kit and it says I need a bigger bucket. So, I read more and found that a bigger bucket is needed so there is no overflow.
My question....are these bigmouth bubblers a waste of money? How would I use them?
Thank you

They will work just fine for kits without grape packs. If you're making kits with grape packs I'd suggest passing the big mouth bubblers along to a beer maker. For kits with grape packs I highly recommend a Speidel fermenter.

Elizabeth, you can also use them for smaller 5 gallon batches, like fruit wines. I don't think any container of that size is a "waste" or a "mistake". A few of us live close enough to you that if you really don't want it you could resell them to one of us. I'd be interested to do something like @AZMDTed did with extended maceration of a kit wine with skins. He pushed the limits of the 6.5 gallons, but I think the idea would be to start the kit with skins in a normal 7.9 gallon bucket and transfer it to the 6.5 gallon big mouth bubbler. Long term storage in one of those would only be feasible if it was filled to the brim after fermentation ceased.

Belated welcome to the forum, I missed seeing that we had another South Central Pennsylvainian among us!

Here is what you do:

1) Mix kit according to directions, but DO NOT pitch the yeast.
2) Remove 1 gallon, and store in the fridge.
3) Return to your normal programming and pitch the yeast.
4) About day 4, when fermentation has subsided, add back 1/2 of the reserved juice.
5) wait a day or two, and add back the rest (or some other slow feeding of the reserved juice).

the big mouth bubbler can be used to make any wine from juice be it grape or fruit, red or white. just keep it down to 6 gallons and cover just like a bucket. stir twice a day it will work great for post fermentation as well. no money lost. I have two I use along with standard opening carboys plastic and glass.

Here is what you do:

1) Mix kit according to directions, but DO NOT pitch the yeast.
2) Remove 1 gallon, and store in the fridge.
3) Return to your normal programming and pitch the yeast.
4) About day 4, when fermentation has subsided, add back 1/2 of the reserved juice.
5) wait a day or two, and add back the rest (or some other slow feeding of the reserved juice).

What he said...just dont put the reserved juice in cold, let it come up to room temp first.

Assuming a 6 gallon or less batch, they can be used for bottling at the end of your bulk aging.

Elizabeth,

You can never, repeat, never have too many fermentation vessels or carboys. I have a BMB and two Fermonsters. I like the BMB, but I like the Fermonster better and I really like their twist on lids.

BTW, welcome!

Opus

what MVmoutineerjack said, except I'd go with a grey brute 44 gallon with lid and screw on round dolly bottom from home depot, then as you make bigger batches your brute trash can will still work, and if you look at the plastic code numbers on a grey brute trash can you will see they are food grade plastic,,, and the lid fits loose enough to ferment with but tight enough to keep flies and other pests out of your must,,,
Dawg

Get a Brute 10 gallon trash can and a towel to cover it for your primary. BMB very good for making cider or white wines for primary also. WVMJ

They also make a smaller big mouth bubbler, like 5 quart size, great for making fermented hot sauce and kimchi! WVMJ

Latest posts

Back