Big mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve made a bunch of wine, sometimes I bottle too soon and get sediment. I’ve got a honey crisp apple wine that was crystal clear in the carboy. Big batch (8 cases), pulled out a bottle the other day and it’s nasty looking (well to me) its got 3/4 inch of pectin (I assume)sitting on the bottom of the bottle. I’m having to pull it all out and try and get it clear. It’s too good to toss.

I guess stuff like apple I’ll just have to leave in the carboy for a year before even attempting to finalize it.

I’ve made a bunch of wine, sometimes I bottle too soon and get sediment. I’ve got a honey crisp apple wine that was crystal clear in the carboy. Big batch (8 cases), pulled out a bottle the other day and it’s nasty looking (well to me) its got 3/4 inch of pectin (I assume)sitting on the bottom of the bottle. I’m having to pull it all out and try and get it clear. It’s too good to toss.

I guess stuff like apple I’ll just have to leave in the carboy for a year before even attempting to finalize it.
Sorry to hear. How old was it when you bottled?

i'm sorry to hear that. i too have had cleared with no problem in the world guaranteed, just to pull a bottle out 1 to 2 years later and find as you have, that is the very reason i only make pear and a few others, as a matter of fact i hate making banana, but been a long while. and freezer is got 100 lbs of very ripened banana, and golden raisin, then read a thread and now when i start it i will be adding pineapple, this has risen my blood pressure by multiples, now i am sad for you and worried to death for me, my banana/pineapple will set for aging for a minimum of 2 years, before bottling,,,
Dawg

i'm sorry to hear that. i too have had cleared with no problem in the world guaranteed, just to pull a bottle out 1 to 2 years later and find as you have, that is the very reason i only make pear and a few others, as a matter of fact i hate making banana, but been a long while. and freezer is got 100 lbs of very ripened banana, and golden raisin, then read a thread and now when i start it i will be adding pineapple, this has risen my blood pressure by multiples, now i am sad for you and worried to death for me, my banana/pineapple will set for aging for a minimum of 2 years, before bottling,,,
Dawg
Hd, use plenty (and a mean plenty) of pectic enzyme on the banana, it’ll break down the fruit better and help to clear also. I just did 95 lbs of frozen bananas and only added 2 gallons of apple juice (to dissolve sugar into) and got 12 gallons of banana wine. It still in the clearing stage but I’ve already racked it off the light lees. In the batch I used about 12 tablespoons of pectic.

Back