Big and little bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally got my AIO pump and racked the SP.....got it pretty well degassed and on to clarifying. Very easy to rack without lifting. I’m going to like this little device!
I experimented with the pump by pulling a strong vacuum to see if any gas was left. Got large bubbles like it was boiling. Later looked up the boiling temperature of water under vacuum and saw that it boils at room temp at around 29” Hg. (?) Is that what I was seeing?Not co2?

The CO2 will come out before substantial water evaporates.
So I finally got my AIO pump and racked the SP.....got it pretty well degassed and on to clarifying. Very easy to rack without lifting. I’m going to like this little device!
I experimented with the pump by pulling a strong vacuum to see if any gas was left. Got large bubbles like it was boiling. Later looked up the boiling temperature of water under vacuum and saw that it boils at room temp at around 29” Hg. (?) Is that what I was seeing?Not co2?

Not likely (as @Rice_Guy alludes). 29" is a very, very deep vacuum. To convince yourself, you could try just pulling a vacuum on tap water, and see what happens.

29” Hg.
That’s very close to absolute vacuum which is 29.9”. I’m sure they’re all a little different, but my AIO maxes out at about 23”. And once the CO2 is gone, I can pull the full 23” without a single bubble. Pure ethanol boils at room temperature at about 28” vacuum. Don’t worry about boiling your liquid with your AIO.

Not likely (as @Rice_Guy alludes). 29" is a very, very deep vacuum. To convince yourself, you could try just pulling a vacuum on tap water, and see what happens.
Also, you could try it on a bottle of 190 proof Everclear (which is as close as you can get to pure ethanol by distillation at normal pressure).

i never do special vacuuming to pull gases out, and i have 2 whole house filter housings, one connected to my racking setup, the other connected to my bottling set up, so just then filtering when bottling, and all's good and well,,, :sm no extra time dogging, no special polishing,, i use polypropylene spun filters, 5 microns for reds and 1 microns for whites, and no fear of soapy taste that can happen :cool:with paper filters,,,,
Dawg .........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Latest posts

Back