Best Yeast for Recipe?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I bought some nonconcentrated Strawberry/Banana juice. [100% juice. no sorbate] and also some concentrated Welch's grape juice to make 6 gallons of wine...
I plan on using the Welch's recipe..

2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar Potassium metabisulfite
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

to make this wine.... = making the recipe to into a 6 gallon=

Would I use the montrachet yeast here also??

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
You can use Montrachet but would advise using energizer also as Montrachet is a yeast strain that can give off H2S flavors and smells due to nutrient deficient musts. I would go with Pastuer Red mysel on this and save the montracchet for a wine that wouldnt require as much nutrients.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend using 3 cans of concentrate per gallon. I've made a bunch of wine using frozen concentrate and 3/gallon seems to be the best way. If you got some a bit of Yeast Energizer couldn't hurt.
Troy

Last edited:

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I checked & do have 1 Pastuer Red!! [so will go with it]
Wondering how do you you know when a wine needs more nutrients???

OK maybe a dumb question?? Is Yeast Energizer same as Yeast Nutrients?

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Think or Nutrients as food and energizer as vitamins. That may be a strange analogy, but as far as I understand, it''s pretty accurate.
Troy

Tom

Reaction score
I like Red Star Cote des Blanc for fruit wines. Gives a fruity flavour.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I too use Cotes Des Blanc for Fruits bt of the concentrate wines I did for some reason it really struggled with that. Ive used both Pastuer red on fruits and concentrates and worked well on both so thats why I said the Pastuer. Nutrienta are good at alomist any stage of fermentation except the very end as energizer is really made to go in the beginning or it leaves a taste in the wine. Arctic is right as energizer contains vitamons like B6 and some others that really enhances a fermentation, I wouldnt use it after the point of where the yeast has eaten more the 25% of the sugar supplied. Nutrients i usually step in 3 doses and introduce )2 at these stages by either aerating or racking the wine.

bladeofthemoon

Drunken God
Reaction score
i use bread yeast and it seems to work pretty well. well, in all honesty, this is just my 2nd batch anyways, so i couldnt really swear to it. :D

Wine4Me

Reaction score
Another yeast question??

I am starting a regular Welch's grape juice wine.. I normally use Montrachet yeast but am out... My choices are Cotes Des Blanc, Premier Curvée, Pasteur Red & Champagne [red star]... Which one would you use??

2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast
[ also add patassium sorbate & more campton tablets ]

Tom

Reaction score
I would use Cote des Blanc that gives a fruity profile.

smurfe

Reaction score
Another yeast question??

I am starting a regular Welch's grape juice wine.. I normally use Montrachet yeast but am out... My choices are Cotes Des Blanc, Premier Curvée, Pasteur Red & Champagne [red star]... Which one would you use??

2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast
[ also add patassium sorbate & more campton tablets ]
Depends on the type of wine you are wanting. Are you wanting a grapey, fruity wine or a more traditional dry wine or back sweetened wine? If you are wanting a fruity wine, I would go with the Cote de Blanc. If you want it to be more like a varietal wine and you are going to oak it and maybe back sweeten it a little, I would go with the champagne yeast. Actually I would use any of the yeasts you listed for this type of wine.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
Thanks Smurfe
I like very sweet wine.. I ferment it to dry then sweeten it..
After telling me any would be good I will use what I have the most of!!
Knowing what kind of wine I drink = is there a certain yeast that is best for real sweet wines?? Or does it depend on what the wine is being made from??

Tom

Reaction score

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
I learn something every day on this site! How much difference does the yeast really make for taste? I am going to be making mostly fruit wines and am willing to use the best ingredients including the yeast. To date I have made ,with Jon's help, 6 batches of must. We have been using either Montrachet or Champagne because it is readily available in our local brew shop.:d

Tom

Reaction score
For fruit wines I use Cote des Blancs. Look for Red Star Yeast Profiles

Wine4Me

Reaction score
Update for the Strawberry/Banana/Grape wine:

In 8 days my must went from 1075 to 1000..
I am excited to taste this wine!!
Also THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP~~ :b

Tom

Reaction score
I learn something every day on this site! How much difference does the yeast really make for taste? I am going to be making mostly fruit wines and am willing to use the best ingredients including the yeast. To date I have made ,with Jon's help, 6 batches of must. We have been using either Montrachet or Champagne because it is readily available in our local brew shop.:d

Time to start thinking "out of the box"

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
A while back smurfe posted a great thing describing different yeasts. As we probably all know by now wine making, and beer, is all a matter of expermentation. Make 2 cheap gallons of wine using 2 different yeasts, there is no question the results will be different. I am thankful there are those who went before us to have made these experiments and offer us the results.
Troy