Best Yeast for Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjenkins

Junior
Reaction score
I'm about to start a kit (Wine Expert Eclipse Pinot Noir). The kit came with LALVIN RC212 as the yeast. I've used the same yeast before with different kits and have had acceptable (bronze medal) results. The RC212 seems like a solid choice but I am curious if there is a better (gold medal) choice. I've read that Wyeast Bordeaux (3028), Red Star Premier Cuvée or Wyeast Assmannhausen (3277) yeast are all good options.

I welcome any insight you may be willing to share.

From MoreWine's guide:

Pinot Noir

• AMH: Enhances clove and nutmeg spicy elements, complex with good red fruit flavours and aromas. Colour friendly, some mouthfeel and structure, as well.

• RC212: Ripe berry, bright fruit and spice. More structure than mouthfeel, with good colour retention.

• BM45: Big mouthfeel and jam along with some earthy and spicy elements. Good colour stability and helps to minimize vegetative characters.

• RP15 (VQ15): Emphasizes red fruit, along with spice. In addition, colour stability, increased mouthfeel and agreeable tannins are also contributed.

• ICV-GRE: Brings fresh red fruit foreword along with good mouthfeel. Also effective for reducing herbaceous and vegetal notes in under-ripe fruit. Useful as a blending component.

• W15: Normally for German whites, when used in a Pinot W15 will give bright fruit focusing on berry notes as well as contribute mouthfeel.

Personally, I kinda like RC-212 for this application; it is a Burgundy isolate, after all.

Back