RJ Spagnols Best White Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facn1989

Reaction score
I usually drink reds, but would like your opinion on the BEST white kit you've ever done. I know this is going to vary depending on the varietals you personally like, but your favorite kit is all I need.

Thanks!

I haven't done too many white kits, but the only one I've done twice is the Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc.

Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer. We added the Suss Reserve to primary, and made it dry. This brand no longer exists. Might be called Atmosphere now.

Steve

Selection Luna Bianca!
photo.php

For my wife it'd probably be the California Moscato by both RJS and WE.

We make 90% reds, the whites have mostly been the limited editions. No disappointments as of yet.

I make 3 reds to 1 white and only make Ultra premium or limited edition kits. IMHO the extra spent on the higher end kits is worth every penny. never been disappointed

cheers

We primarily drink/make reds but the Atmosphere Muller Thurgau is delicious, our favorite white kit of the 1/2 dozen whites that we've made

I’ve done the Eclipse Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. My wife is a big fan of NZ style sav Blanc and we feel this one shows very well. If you like bright, crisp whites, I recommend this one over any other white kits we’ve done or shared with others. Drinks well after just a few months in the bottle, but does develop with age.

Thanks everyone, how long do you age the whites until they are at their best? Specifically the Luna Bianca and the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc sound interesting

On the Sav Blanc, the kit requires 6 weeks and suggests 2-3 months in bottle. I find it tastes pretty good after about a month, but gets better over time.

On the Sav Blanc, the kit requires 6 weeks and suggests 2-3 months in bottle. I find it tastes pretty good after about a month, but gets better over time.

Wow, only 2-3 months? Sorry I've never done a white. They don't require 2+ years or anything near that to reach their peak?

2-3 months is the kit recommendation. 1 year of age will definitely be better. Whites are typically drank younger than reds and seldom cellared likes reds are. That said, IMO sav Blanc is the one white worth cellaring as it does really evolve over time. The tartness fades and the more herbal notes begin to show through.

Wow, only 2-3 months? Sorry I've never done a white. They don't require 2+ years or anything near that to reach their peak?

Once while speaking with a RJS CS person it was recommended to me that their whites (we might have been talking about the lower end whites) were best consumed within a year or so. Their reds would likely benefit from some additional aging.

My mixed berry, apple and peach country/fruit wines are generally ready for consumption in 2-3 months and don't seem to benefit much, if at all, from additional aging.

I make 3 reds to 1 white and only make Ultra premium or limited edition kits. IMHO the extra spent on the higher end kits is worth every penny. never been disappointed

cheers

Putterr....I am leaning in that direction myself and will follow your footsteps.

Except I do have a huge amount fun tweaking these cheaper kits into a much better wine than they would have been. I don't tweak the big kits or do very small tweaks. I'm finding they drink good early and MUCH better with some age.

Not a white wine guy and all seem to disappoint me. But, everyone seems pleased with the Peach Apricot Chardonnay ...just a very pleasant low brow white wine.

Putterr....I am leaning in that direction myself and will follow your footsteps.

Except I do have a huge amount fun tweaking these cheaper kits into a much better wine than they would have been. I don't tweak the big kits or do very small tweaks. I'm finding they drink good early and MUCH better with some age.

Not a white wine guy and all seem to disappoint me. But, everyone seems pleased with the Peach Apricot Chardonnay ...just a very pleasant low brow white wine.

i have made many white kits over the years, from very cheap to the 18 L ones i do now. it's been a journey. I still tweak some of them with fruit zest. i have made a couple of the fruit wines but would rather have my fruit drinks made with rum or vodka.

cheers

Latest posts

Back