Best way to transport wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm moving in about a week and a half. I have some 1 gallon carboys of wine I've brewed over the summer, which I have to be taking with me. They're all deep into secondary fermentation, and the youngest will be a month old when I have to move. Does anyone have any advice for how to transport wines? It'll be a 4 hour car drive, highways mostly so smooth terrain. Temperature isn't an issue. I figured I would just use a solid rubber bung to seal the carboys, and then box them with padding. Would this work? Is there any other dangers/issues I'm missing? Does anyone have a better method?

Any help would be appreciated.

Some jostling will be unavoidable and some CO2 gas might pop a solid bung off. It might be better to use an airlock sufficiently filled. Maybe a tote falls into the category of “box”, the lighter the better for carrying several jugs of wine. Easy to pack with towels for padding. Also towels for keeping direct sunlight off the carboys.

You should be ok otherwise, no issues expected.

Some jostling will be unavoidable and some CO2 gas might pop a solid bung off. It might be better to use an airlock sufficiently filled. Maybe a tote falls into the category of “box”, the lighter the better for carrying several jugs of wine. Easy to pack with towels for padding. Also towels for keeping direct sunlight off the carboys.

You should be ok otherwise, no issues expected.
I agree. Install clean airlocks with vodka. With the sloshing I would expect some getting into the wine. I may tape the bungs in as well with some duct tape.

I'm moving in about a week and a half. I have some 1 gallon carboys of wine I've brewed over the summer, which I have to be taking with me. They're all deep into secondary fermentation, and the youngest will be a month old when I have to move. Does anyone have any advice for how to transport wines? It'll be a 4 hour car drive, highways mostly so smooth terrain. Temperature isn't an issue. I figured I would just use a solid rubber bung to seal the carboys, and then box them with padding. Would this work? Is there any other dangers/issues I'm missing? Does anyone have a better method?

I agree with Ohio Bob and ChuckD. All I would add is you might try going to a store that sells gallon jugs of product and see if you can find a cardboard carton. They normally come four to a carton. I would put them in the carton, pack some extra insulation around them and by all means, secure the stoppers with duct tape.

I agree with Ohio Bob and ChuckD. All I would add is you might try going to a store that sells gallon jugs of product and see if you can find a cardboard carton. They normally come four to a carton. I would put them in the carton, pack some extra insulation around them and by all means, secure the stoppers with duct tape.
That's what I did last year when I moved, although it was only a 1 hour drive. I put the 1-gal. carboys in the cardboard boxes (4 to a box) and added extra padding around them. I left the airlocks on them. Moving will stir up the sediment, but once they are in their new home it will settle out again.

If you can't find the 1-gal. jug boxes, any large box or bin will work. Just pad them with towels.

I agree with Flamingo, invite your best friends over this weekend and they will NEVER forget you even if you are 4 hours away.

Thanks everyone for all the help and tips! I've got the boxes the carboys came in, plus some packing padding, which I can use. For the wines still fermenting slightly I'll be sure to properly set the airlocks.

As for drinking it, It's a bit too much wine to down in only a few days, but still good idea!

Latest posts

Back