Best way to remove a grape vine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used 2-4-D for years, now thanks to you i know it's name, Recon i should start reading the labels,, And i am not trying to be funny, i do know if you read the active ingredients in round up, the main one is in your cornflakes and most all of General mills cereals, glyphosate
Dawg

Doesn't bother me in the least. Sure it can be found in most cereals, but at what level?? 500 parts per billion?? how can you even measure that low a level? and it MIGHT cause one more cancer incidence in a sample size of a million people. I got other things to worry about. I think alcohol alone causes more increased levels than that.

Doesn't bother me in the least. Sure it can be found in most cereals, but at what level?? 500 parts per billion?? how can you even measure that low a level? and it MIGHT cause one more cancer incidence in a sample size of a million people. I got other things to worry about. I think alcohol alone causes more increased levels than that.
to be honest i don't recall asking you if you care or not, you must be worried by your stock portfolio, was a mere observation,, of course , if you add up every processed food, drink that one consumes daily cannot be left out of the equation, nope it is just a part of life, like big pharma , don't sell meds to cure or they would go broke, no more the a doctor which helped cire anything would have no more work, ect, ect, i made the observation, and to quote you , you opinion Dosen't bother me in the least.
Richard

I used a hi-lift jack and a chain to pull up the vines. It is working. I made a “tripod” by sawing down some 2x4s and put a bolt in the top threaded through the jack. It helps a lot. YouTube shows several examples. Funny thing. I pulled up some vines which have been “dead” for at least 3 years and looking at the broken roots they are red and wet like a live root. But I tried to slip the skin on the bark just below the scion and the trunk is dead. I don’t see any way to revive that.
6CA47827-9CEC-47AB-8C2F-E3BFFBD7A7B7.jpeg

@hounddawg I am taking your suggestion. I pulled up 4 live vines and transplanted them. After cutting off the broken roots. Fingers crossed!
I'm rooting for your success,,,, no joke,, let me know, on fruit trees watering the first year or two are very important, just don't over water ,,,, ✌
Dawg

Hello fellow grape plant diggers!
My brother-in-laws father had a Minnesota vineyard for 20 plus years and recently sold the property. The new owner is ok with someone taking the grape vines out so thus begins the plan. My brother-in-law has a nice skid loader with a large drill so we drilled new holes for the new vines to be planted. This skid loader also had a nice tool that digs down below the ground to cut off the roots several feet down. The plants we transplanted had anywhere from 2 ft to 5 ft roots. Any thoughts about the viability of these plants? We filled the 5 x 3 ft hole about half full then put the plants in and filled with dirt, then watered again. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we waited till the plants totally lost their leaves so they were dormant for the year. The vineyard was about at least 200 ft long by 4 rows. Almost made me cry! So between my brother-in-law and myself we took about half of the vines. What happened to the rest? We dug them out and tossed them in a grove of trees. If I would have planned ahead I could have notified some people that I've heard make wine in this area, then I thought about the work involved and who would want to do that digging. At this point with nice weather moving in next week, I was wondering if these bare roots are good anymore? It's been chilly since last Saturday, but it did get up in the 50's. I hate the thought of these beautiful vines going to waste. The other problem would be that we had no order to which vines were which, so if someone gets them, the will not know which plants a re which variety. Oops! Any thoughts?

The transplanted vines will need regular irrigation the first year for sure, and will need to be aggressively pruned to balance the plant. Grapes are hardy plants.

I would bet that the bare root vines would also survive. However, who knows what issues those plants had in the original vineyard. It is more cost effective to buy new plants and start over IMO

The transplanted vines will need regular irrigation the first year for sure, and will need to be aggressively pruned to balance the plant. Grapes are hardy plants.

I would bet that the bare root vines would also survive. However, who knows what issues those plants had in the original vineyard. It is more cost effective to buy new plants and start over IMO
Thanks Snafflebit! I will be sure to prune so that those new roots can take hold!

@SeniorHobby Grapes are weeds. and as @Snafflebit noted prune heavily so that the root isn’t struggling to keep up with the vegetative part. This means that you miss a years worth of crop but increases the survival rate.
Thanks Rice Guy,
I am planning on no crop for maybe a couple of years to give the roots a good footing!

Hi Ratflinger,
Is this your way of transplanting grape vines? Ha Ha!
While we are on this thought. I was visiting with a winemaker the other day and he says the he burns the grass below his vines to kill and fungus that tries to climb onto the grape vines. Anybody heard of this before?
Well, actually the thread started out as removing vines and has moved to transplanting. Probably not the most successful way to transplant, unless by torching the 1st two it causes the others to unroot and move on their own. :D

To remove a unwanted grapevine for replacement I drill a 3/4 inch whole down into the base of the vine before dormancy and fill it with undiluted Roundup give a few of months then dig it out in the winter when the soil is easier to dig. I've bean dealing with some Crown Gall, and Dead Arm over the last few years.

Latest posts

Back