Best way to remove a grape vine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have used a bumper jack to pull out fence posts. Wrap a chain around the post, and jack up until the post is out of the ground.
Would this work for a vine?

I fear that I will be using a shovel to dig out 14 vines soon!

In the vineyard where a variety is being replaced, I have cut them off close to ground level. A few shoots will come up on year one but a weed wacker keeps this down and on year two NOTHING!

I am lazy, if I wanted instant results as on the fence line at church I cut at a convenient level and paint the cut stem with vine and brush killer

I do plan to replant with some new grape vines. I should have said that. Some of the present vines are dead some not. I don’t have any reason to think there is root parasites either. I considered just replanting near the old vine and using roundup on the old stump

Last edited:
I have used a bumper jack to pull out fence posts. Wrap a chain around the post, and jack up until the post is out of the ground.

I cant grow a grape vine to save my *ss and here your pulling them out! lol

I do plan to replant with some new grape vines. I should have said that. Some of the present vines are dead some not. I don’t have any reason to think there is root parasites either. I considered just replanting near the old vine and using roundup on the old stump
Any reason you don't try grafting then? If the roots are living and doing well, they're going to give more vigor. Of course if this is own-rooted vines NOT doing well cut and kill now. Watch out that the brush killer won't travel. I think it's 2-4D that will get volatile. painting the stump in cool weather should be fine, and leaving it long enough to bag up so brush killer is contained on it. the rest will dry out and be easy to remove when dead.
I don't dig unless I have to.

grafting is a fantastic direction, you could have fruit in 16 months and still do fill in planting
the chemical I use/ bottle with a built in brush is triclopry. 2-4D (dandelion killer) is nasty near grapes
Any reason you don't try grafting then? If the roots are living and doing well, they're going to give more vigor. Of course if this is own-rooted vines NOT doing well cut and kill now. Watch out that the brush killer won't travel. I think it's 2-4D that will get volatile. painting the stump in cool weather should be fine, and leaving it long enough to bag up so brush killer is contained on it

grape roots can be as deep as 8 ft as well as 8 ft in diameter. pulling them will take some action. grafting might be a better option or kill in place.

grafting is a fantastic direction, you could have fruit in 16 months and still do fill in planting
the chemical I use/ bottle with a built in brush is triclopry. 2-4D (dandelion killer) is nasty near grapes
That is it, couldn't remember lastnight. Triclopyr is what I paint on stumps as well, will eventually kill poison ivy and sumac trees. 2-4D is bad for almost everything I plant. I worry about the neighbors using it to have pretty lawns, but thankfully we aren't necessarily that kind of area.

I am switching to a new rootstock and also from Cab to Merlot. There appears to be some crown gall damage also. In my opinion, not worth trying to graft over. This is a test to see how new vines will perform. Supposedly Merlot is resistant to many diseases that Cabernet attracts

Dad was in forestry and he used Tordon RTU to kill off stumps. I will look for Triclopyr. My understanding is that glyphosate and 2-4D both require active leaf growth in order to kill the plant. glyphosate specifically blocks plant metabolism in leaves and 2-4D is a hormone that promotes rapid growth which cannot respire properly. And both chemicals degrade in the soil within weeks. But they can become airborne which is bad.

I was told by the Virginia Tech research team to use glyphosate to kill off two vines with crown gall. I was to cut back to a small stump and paint the cut with full strength glyphosate.

still early so if you wait for a good rain to where the ground is good and wet, you can pull most anything and replant, I've' moved fruit or mull berry trees sometimes, i wrap with a towel then use a cotton rope so as to not hurt the bark, i use a frontend loader , but a jack will do the same, but the ground needs to be soaking wet,
Dawg

Tordon RTU to kill off stumps.
Tordon is 2-4D, just so we're clear. Works well, and is effective painting only on cambium of cut stumps. I've used it to get rid of black locust. But if you are near grapes to be kept, find another chemical.Pulling out with loader or jack as Hounddawg does also works- you shouldn't have regrowth to deal with.

Tordon is 2-4D, just so we're clear. Works well, and is effective painting only on cambium of cut stumps. I've used it to get rid of black locust. But if you are near grapes to be kept, find another chemical.Pulling out with loader or jack as Hounddawg does also works- you shouldn't have regrowth to deal with.
I've used 2-4-D for years, now thanks to you i know it's name, Recon i should start reading the labels,, And i am not trying to be funny, i do know if you read the active ingredients in round up, the main one is in your cornflakes and most all of General mills cereals, glyphosate
Dawg

Strange but all of a sudden I don't feel much like eating my bowl of Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios! mmm

Latest posts

Back