Best starter kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this neighbor that approached me and wanted me to teach his wife how to make wine.

Knowing they had no equipment to start with, or any kind of space to work in, i suggested that they try to do a kit.

My thinking was that they could then try winemaking without a huge investment (in case they may find that they do not like winemaking).

OK, so I have little in the way of kit experience. I really do not know what kit would be best to start with. I know my neighbor likes Chardonnay.

Any suggestions for a first timer?

One of my favorite white wine kits, that is mostly chardonnay is the WineExpert Luna Bianca kit (about $100+s&h). I think it was among the first white wine kits I made. Which means I probably made it straight to the instructions (4 or 6 weeks) and drank it soon after it was in the bottle for about a month or two. If they wish to spend a bit less there is also a Mezza Luna White, which I believe is about the same kit (about $70+s&h).

I'm no expert but I've made several kits over many years and I think its safe to say you get what you pay for. Buy something from R.J.S. or W.E. premium lines.

I haven't done a Chardonnay, however for whites I have been very impressed with the RJS Cru Select kits (16L) have done the Gerwurztraminer, Pinot Grigio and the Riesling Traminer. I have never seen the point in going up to the En Primeur level for whites and have had a couple of lower end kits that tasted watered down.

I have this neighbor that approached me and wanted me to teach his wife how to make wine.

Knowing they had no equipment to start with, or any kind of space to work in, i suggested that they try to do a kit.

My thinking was that they could then try winemaking without a huge investment (in case they may find that they do not like winemaking).

OK, so I have little in the way of kit experience. I really do not know what kit would be best to start with. I know my neighbor likes Chardonnay.

Any suggestions for a first timer?

Before they rush out to buy a kit, they need to pick up some equipment. For beginners, there are a lot of equipment kits available for $100 - $150 that include pretty much everything you need to get started. LD Carlson makes a few. It would help if they picked up a book or two to familiarize themselves with the process. I would go with a lower cost, early drinking white so they can have a taste of success without having to wait two years.

Latest posts

Back