Best Red to Backsweeten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avpanaia

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for ideas on what type of red would taste good both dry and sweetened. I have made a couple of batches of white where I bottle 3 gallons for myself and then sweeten the other 3 for the wife and her friends which works out very well. I like a good cab or Merlot but not sure how they would turn out as a sweet red. Any suggestions?

As a rule I do not drink storebought wines. If I was in the same boat as you, I would buy a couple of bottles of dry red and try adding a little sugar to them. See which one you like. Good luck with it, Arne.

I would go with the less expensive wine kits. something like Mezza Luna Red. these are wine blends and would be more prone to being good when sweet or dry.
Good idea Sal. I see HomeBrewSupply has a WE World Vineyard California Trinity Red that sounds like a nice blend at a reasonable price.

Or, make you a good red kit and her a batch of Dragon Blood.
I never paid much attention to that recipe until now. Might have to make that one not just for her but for myself as well. Just what I needed....anther one to add to the lineup. :)

Latest posts

Back