Quantcast

Best non-aged dry wines to start with?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

IB021449

Junior
Reaction score
I'm interested in making my own wine. I've been researching the process and equipment a lot and one thing i'm starting to notice is that most dry wines in particular are recommended to be aged 2 or 3 years. I'm not a fan of sweet wine so i definitely want to do dry, but i don't have the patience to wait 2+ years to drink the first wine i make.
What are your suggestions for dry wines that still taste pretty good immediately after bottling?
If it changes anything, i plan on starting from a kit.
Thanks!

Smok1

Reaction score
I find the lower end kits (10liter and 12 liter kits) make better young drinkers. Dragons blood is another early inexpensive drinker of you wanna try wine without a kit.

AZMDTed

Just a guy
Reaction score
For me, a premium red wine kit will outshine a low end red wine kit at any stage of aging. I recommend you buy the best kit you can afford in a variety you like.

codeman

Reaction score
Gewürztraminer is a good dry white wine that will be nice-drinking early. It has so much flavor to offer you don't need to wait for them all to develop.

AZMDTed

Just a guy
Reaction score
Also, all dry whites have tasted very good right away to me.

Mismost

Reaction score
For me, a premium red wine kit will outshine a low end red wine kit at any stage of aging. I recommend you buy the best kit you can afford in a variety you like.
Ted, I am coming around to your way of thinking on the higher end kits.

However, I like the cheap kits to play with and after the second bottle, no one seems to notice the difference:h allows my big reds to keep sitting longer.