Best label removal hack EVER

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Val, KC and others commenting on the "good ole days" with early computers. I have you ALL beat...............I am old enough to remember when there was no such thing as a computer, nor cell phones for that matter.
I guess I should have been specific in stating that for "everyday, personal Use"

FWIW, I don't believe that any of the computers mentioned upthread could be described as being for "everyday, personal use." They were all large mainframes or so-called "minicomputers" (about the same as an apartment-sized fridge).

Last edited:
To Val, KC and others commenting on the "good ole days" with early computers. I have you ALL beat...............I am old enough to remember when there was no such thing as a computer, nor cell phones for that matter. We had to search for a pay phone to call someone, and cashiers in super markets had cash registers, and they actually "counted out" your cash............noone counts today (have you noticed?) But, Val, I can relate to one thing you said. I, too, paid $2,600 for my first computer. It was a Gateway, and I am still using its keyboard because I am used to the feel of it, kinda like the old-fashioned typewriters. Any of you have memories of those?....................Like Archie Bunker: those were the days...........................................Dizzy
Were you also on the "Party line" for your house phone ? I believe we had 5-6 neighbors that all shared 1 line (back in my younger days). And of course neighbors would NEVER pick up the phone to listen to your conversation. :D

FWIW, I don't believe that any of the computers mentioned upthread could be described as being for "everyday, personal use." They were all large mainframes or so-called "minicomputers" (about the same as an apartment-sized fridge).

The Micro PDP 11-73 was at least rack mountable, it was a bit deeper than a PC of the day, but only about 5 or 6 inches. Other than that, I agree, most of them were at least as big as a small fridge.

Were you also on the "Party line" for your house phone ? I believe we had 5-6 neighbors that all shared 1 line (back in my younger days). And of course neighbors would NEVER pick up the phone to listen to your conversation. :D

I remember being on a "Party Line" for the house phone. Different rings for each neighbor. I seem to remember that my first wife's parents had just been able to get a private line a few years before we got married in 1979. They lived somewhat out in the boonies, probably 15 or 20 miles from the nearest big town.

The Micro PDP 11-73 was at least rack mountable, it was a bit deeper than a PC of the day, but only about 5 or 6 inches. Other than that, I agree, most of them were at least as big as a small fridge.

Yeah, I had a rack-mounted PDP-11 (couldn't tell you which model). When I pictured it in my mind's eye, I think I was including the size of the rack! (Of course, the rack had ancillary stuff like disks to fill out a lot of the space.)

My wife was. She lived on a farm just outside the city. Didn’t have full phone service for quite some time.

You used old computers and 8 tracks to remove labels????
Have to apologize to @Val-the-Brew-Gal, sorry Val. I started this (but it is fun, right?) by saying I used to use a computer monitor to help remove labels (although they were floppy disk labels, the same rules apply). All these people talking about computers and 8-tracks... sheesh! This is supposed to be about CRT monitors.

Seriously, though, I have been trying very hard not to feed this frenzy. It’s just really difficult for us old farts, I mean geezers, not to share our 5-mile trek, through the snow, to school everyday when we were tots, and it was uphill both ways! Right guys?

Have to apologize to @Val-the-Brew-Gal, sorry Val. I started this (but it is fun, right?)
Seriously, though, I have been trying very hard not to feed this frenzy. It’s just really difficult for us old farts, I mean geezers, not to share our 5-mile trek, through the snow, to school everyday when we were tots, and it was uphill both ways! Right guys?

Right!

Have to apologize to @Val-the-Brew-Gal, sorry Val. I started this (but it is fun, right?) by saying I used to use a computer monitor to help remove labels (although they were floppy disk labels, the same rules apply). All these people talking about computers and 8-tracks... sheesh! This is supposed to be about CRT monitors.

And the snow was often so deep we had to jump from fence post to fence post or we would get lost in the drifts.

🤪 😇:tz

I remember being on a "Party Line" for the house phone. Different rings for each neighbor. I seem to remember that my first wife's parents had just been able to get a private line a few years before we got married in 1979. They lived somewhat out in the boonies, probably 15 or 20 miles from the nearest big town.

I can remember the party line too. My husband and I were married in '84 and we had one for a couple years after that yet.

I never used a party line but worked for an engineering firm in the early eighties who did design work for the phone co. Southern Bell in that part of KY if I recall. We would walk for miles measuring the distance between poles the company could order cable to replace the two wire party lines. The Bell engineer I worked with told me they would put up to 32 households on a single pair of wires.

Eventually, I got to the point of only having to clean my own wine bottles. I peel off what’s left of the capsule and then soak in oxi clean and hot water for about an hour. The labels typically fall right off. I give the bottles a good shaking to clean the inside; rinse until the water doesn’t have any suds in it; rack and put them away when they’re dry.

I might try the oven bit, just to say I did. But, I’d still have to clean the bottles. Does baking the bottle have a negative impact on cleaning it later?

Last edited:
I've tried
Eventually, I got to the point of only having to clean my own wine bottles. I peel off what’s left of the capsule and then soak in oxi clean and hot water for about an hour. The labels typically fall right off. I give the bottles a good shaking to clean the inside; rinse until the water doesn’t have any suds in it; rack and put them away when they’re dry.

I might try the oven bit, just to say I did. But, I’d still have to clean the bottles. Does baking the bottle have a negative impact on cleaning it later?

I've tried soaking in OxyClean but with many wine brands I still end up having to scrape with a razor blade and put in a lot of elbow grease. The oven method has worked so much better for me. I was afraid that it would be harder to clean the inside after baking but it was actually easier. I soak them in water for a several minutes and I'm done. Occasionally I'll have a really dirty bottle and I just soak it in OxyClean for a while or use my drill powered bottle brush.

As for my own bottles, I use a gelatin based homemade glue so the labels slip right off in hot water!

I tried the oven, but still had trouble with a bunch. I tried a heat gun, but was worried, and read reports, that excessive heat could cause residual stress in the glass.
I will say that the absolute best thing for removing any kind of adhesive is NAPHTHA. Otherwise known as Coleman fluid. It’s cheap ($10/gallon) compared to all the other things I’ve ever tried, but extremely flammable. It dissolves adhesives like water dissolved sugar. I wear rubber gloves when using it.
yup that and lacquer thinner, both work really good, both extremely flammable, and a good set of chemical restraint gloves and very good ventilation a must, in a closed in area that's hot the flash point is very low and the fumes can ignite at low flash points that can be catastrophic , causing a flash explosion.
Dawg

Latest posts

Back