Other Best kit for quick turnaround?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppyland

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have a couple of kits sitting in the bulk aging stage, but I'm already getting comments from the wife and other relatives - "when is it going to be ready?!" šŸ˜ I'm hoping to whip up something quick that's halfway decent (if that's even possible) to get them off my back. Anyone have a nice go-to kit or type I can bottle in a few weeks?

Any of the Island Mist, Orchard Breezin wine kits can be ready to drink in about the 4-6 weeks advertised. When I make these, I always increase the alcohol level up to about 10-13% ABV. I make them to the full 6 gallons, don't add much (other than plain white sugar) from outside the kit box. Everyone thinks you are a great winemaker and you just snicker about it.

The Peach Apricot (with mostly Chardonnay) one is a favorite of the non-wine drinkers at my house. along with the Black Cherry (Pinot Noir, maybe it's Malbec, who knows).

Is it still ready in the same amount of time?

Yes, these kits have very little grape character to the final taste and don't benefit much, if at all from aging. I generally bottle them about the time frame the kit indicates, maybe a week or so longer, then age in the bottle for at most a month or two just to make sure they are past bottle shock, chill, serve.

I didn't answer the how much sugar, due to my belief that how much you will need to add is going to depend on what alcohol level you want to end up with and where it starts. Your hydrometer and a program like fermcalc have to be your guides. But last time I did it, I believe I added four lbs. and I don't remember exactly what I shot for in hydrometer reading, but probably 1.080-1.090. Your Mileage May Vary

Is it still ready in the same amount of time?
I've chaptalized every Island Mist I made, so I can't say for sure. However, these are not high quality wines, and aging didn't make a lot of difference.

Note that I had one last 7 years, so the shelf life was good. Keep in mind this is a chaptalized wine -- if made to the original ABV (~7%), you won't get more than a year or 2.

One more question on the Island Mist kits - I noticed Label Peelers recommends adding grape concentrate, has anyone tried this?
Adding grape concentrate is -- or is not -- a good idea depending on what your goal is.

If you're making a quick drinking wine to get annoying family & friends off your back? ( šŸ˜‰ ) Don't add the concentrate as the wine is more likely to need more aging. I'd also target 10% ABV.

If you want to make a fun drinker while making it more robust? Add the concentrate, although I'd target 11%-12% ABV.

YMMV

Bergamais used to be my go to for quick turn round. Sadly, it's no longer available. Pinot Noir is a good one. Actually drinkable at bottling within a couple of months from start

The first kit I made is very drinkable right after bottling, after a couple weeks to get over bottle shock. It is a Mosti Mondiale Ner D'Avola, a Sicilian red wine. I have made two so far and have another kit in my garage, just waiting for it to get cool enough to start.

Adding grape concentrate is -- or is not -- a good idea depending on what your goal is.

If you're making a quick drinking wine to get annoying family & friends off your back? ( šŸ˜‰ ) Don't add the concentrate as the wine is more likely to need more aging. I'd also target 10% ABV.

If you want to make a fun drinker while making it more robust? Add the concentrate, although I'd target 11%-12% ABV.

YMMV
I second the Peach Apricot Chardonnay - It's ready quick and very popular, I've had friends and neighbors ask me if they can buy a case! I follow the label peelers recommendation on concentrate and sugar additions - the extra grape juice balances out the extra alcohol - I don't think it needs extra time, but I haven't done a real expirement.

@oppyland, one of our regulars noted that the first few years of winemaking, we are making for the future. Upon reflection, this is always true -- wine takes time so we're always building for the future. But once we have a stock built up, we don't notice it as much.

Figure out how much wine you're going to need for next year, and start making more than that. You'll need it!

Back