Other Best Kit For Dry, Full Bodied, Tannic 'High End' Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we5inelgr

Reaction score
Hello forum,

I'm in the process of making my first wine from fresh grapes (from my own backyard vineyard). So I have the wine making equipment.

However, I'd like to try and make some wine (from grapes) using a kit as well.

I know this isn't a straight match, but very generically speaking, we would prefer a French or Italian Red wine to a California Red wine due to style. We're not really into the big fruity reds.

We like our Red wines on the dry side, full bodied with moderate to high tannins.

Can anyone recommend a kit for that style? I would prefer a kit that comes with skins, but that's not necessary.

Thanks.

Take a look at the Nebbiolo kits in the WE Eclipse line or RJS EP lines. The Amarone WE Selection with skins, or RJS EP. Think you'll be very happy.

Oh, good point! I just bottled a WE Eclipse Nebbiolo, and it was indeed more Old-World Style than most kits I have done. It was not fruit-forward, and even had a soupçon of minerality.

I 2nd Amarone WE Selection International. That's by far my fave winexpert kit. I add a cup of raisins to the primary and a medium toast French oak spiral when bulk aging.

I 2nd Amarone WE Selection International. That's by far my fave winexpert kit. I add a cup of raisins to the primary and a medium toast French oak spiral when bulk aging.

I'm a huge Amarone fan, but so far my expectations have been very underwhelming so far with this WE Amarone kit. Being an Amarone, I expected much more body and flavor, but so far it tastes quite thin compared to most Amarone's I drink.

My WE Lodi Old Vine Zin, WE Lodi Cab, WE Stag's Leap Merlot, Mosi Carmenere bucket and Mosi Cab bucket have much more body and are far more bold and flavorful than the WE Amarone kit thus far.

I guess I will just have to wait and see for now.

The amarone kit needs at a minimum 2+ years of age before it starts reaching its potential.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions!

I've read that, in order to get more body out of these kits (and to prevent the wine from being 'thin'), the suggestion is to decrease the added water so that the overall volume is 5 gallons instead of 6.
I'm thinking that would affect the chemistry of the batch. Do another other modifications need to be done if this method is used?

I don’t recommend reducing the volume due to chemistry (pH and TA) issues. Consider extended maceration if you’re doing a kit with skins, as well as barrel aging and time. These factors have brought my Wines to the level I hoped for. I opened a bottle of my Cellercraft Amarone this weekend. It’s almost 3 years old and is coming along very well. Same for the Eclipse SLM and Walla Walla Cab Merlot. If you can keep your hands off for two years minimum, it really helps. Easier said than done. There’s a reason most good commercial wines don’t release their bottles for two years from their vintage.

The amarone kit needs at a minimum 2+ years of age before it starts reaching its potential.

I just bottled a Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone at one year and there is no way this will be around another year. I always had considered the RJS Super Tuscan the best wine kit I had ever done, until now...

I just bottled a Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone at one year and there is no way this will be around another year. I always had considered the RJS Super Tuscan the best wine kit I had ever done, until now...

Ive done the cellar showcase aramone and we think its probly the best kit weve done.

Does anyone recommend a malolactic fermentation with the red wine kit, provided that any addition of sorbate is added after malo?

Last edited:
Does anyone recommend a malolactic fermentation with the red wine kit, provided that any addition of sorbate is added after malo?

No MLF for kits, they have had acid pre-adjusted to balance the flavor and not need it.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions!

I've read that, in order to get more body out of these kits (and to prevent the wine from being 'thin'), the suggestion is to decrease the added water so that the overall volume is 5 gallons instead of 6.
I'm thinking that would affect the chemistry of the batch. Do another other modifications need to be done if this method is used?
I don't think anyone on this forum would make that suggestion.

Latest posts

Back