Other Best for Sangiovese?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikM

Reaction score
I want to do a Sangiovese. What kit is best? From reading the various posts, it seems that the Cellar Craft Showcase kit give the most consistent positive feedback.

I have done a number of white kits. All with good results. Right now I have a World Vineyard Chilean Malbec aging in a carboy. The malbec was started in November 2011. I am saving it for Thanksgiving 2012. One note- I wish I read-up in these forums beforehand about the variability of red wine kits. The Malbec was only a 10L kit. If I only knew then what I know now.....

I also have 6 gallons of Sauvignon blanc made from locally grown grapes, about ready for the second racking. We picked, sorted, crushed, and pressed the grapes ourselves. Hot work.

There aren't any good pure Sangio Kits but there are some good /excellent blends with Sangio as the backbone.

Either the CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo or the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan. You won't go wrong with either of those.

I have the WE International Sangiovese at 2 years in the bottle. This was the first wine I made, and it was done at a FOP in my area. So this kit was made exactly to directions. One thing that I would definitely consider is adding additional oak and extending bulk aging time.

It is a 15L kit without skins. And if you're looking for the varietal, it is a pretty good representation of standard Sangiovese - medium body, light tannins, fruit forward and a little acidity. Without skins, it does lack a little weight, but very good with traditional Italian fare.

I agree with Mike that there are other sangio blends out there that for a little more money provide a more interesting end product, but I will most likely make it again for use as a light table wine - everyone likes it - and definately want to have some around to top up some of the bigger Italian blends. Just my $.02

Jmforem, how do you feel about a Chianti? That is made primarily from Sangiovese. RJS has a 16 liter Chianti Riserva kit in their Cru Select series. I would add a couple pounds of raisins to it in primary, but that is just me.

Thank you ibglowin, Rocky and kat50496, for your comments.

One of the aspects of kits that makes it hard to select a kit, is which kits have grape packs and which don't. The kit "manufacturer's" websites don't give any information. Typically their instructions say "if a wine pack is included..."

Seems most red wine kits do not reproduce very well, the same wine made from scratch (grapes).

Thanks again for the comments.
Erik

jforem, a site that I have found that gives good information is the Wine Makers Toy Store. (They handle Mosti Mondiale, RJ Spagnols and Cellar Craft kits) If you go to their on-line catalog, select a wine kit producer and select one of the producer's series, you will get a listing of that series. In the first column (part number) select one of the wines and it takes you to a page with excellent information on that kit, including whether or not a grape pack is included. Another site, which handles Wine Expert kits that has some good information is the Wine Making Super Store in Florida. It has information, but is not as well organized and you have to dig for it.

Latest posts

Back