Best course??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
Got my hands on 4 qts. frozen juice from grapes (Concord maybe?) from a wild vine growing along side the garage. Anyway, should be enough to do in a gallon jug. I've never done a small one like this so the quantities of additives [yeast, K-Meta, Sorbate] are not on my cheat sheet. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance

Gary and Flo,

Welcome to WineMakingTalk! Its about time you showed up here! This sounds like a wine right up Flo's alley! It probably is not a concord, just wild grapes, this might be good blending with possibly a cherry. Ferment it by itself. Bring the sg up to 1.080, can you test for acid? If not bring me a sample and I can test it for you, we will be home tomorrow after 1 and all day on Monday. Have the acid around .70%, ferment dry. Once dry taste it to see how it is. You will know if is good as a dry wine, if not sweeten or blend and it now becomes a wine for Flo.

Most wild grapes are ok to use unless if they're from the Butler,PA area. So you see you have a very slim chance of them not being good.

Alright I guess I should have told you this before, if Runningwolf comes on here starting to bad mouth Butler or Saxonburg or anyplace close by you need to ignore it. He is just jealous because he wants to live in this area.

LOL!! About time Gary & Flo!! Thanks for sharing your crab dip! Let me know how those grapes do,,cuz I have a bunch growing around my property!! Oh and as Julie said,,don't listen to Dan,,,,lol!! I haven't:)

Thanks all for the tips. Posted last week but must have sent it to never-never-land! Just wanted to say hey to all the new fermenting friends Flo and I have met. Never a dull moment and a great time is only a glassful away!! Will get busy on the juice soon and let you know wazzup..

Yes please let us know how it goes. There is a vine growing behind the high school, no grapes on it last year but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Have you gotten anything bottled yet?

Flo wants to know where those grapes are,,,,,LOL. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! I have Cab-Sav kit bottled, Gewurz kit bottled. Moscato bucket fining, Valdespano/Tempranillo bucket in secondary ferment, Pinot Noir kit ready to secondary ferment. (Flo says something has gone awry,,,hahaha). Anyway a question,, Moscato is at @.998. Would like it a wee bit sweeter. About how much sugar would bring it up to lets say @1.002? Don't want to be adding too much. I realize there's a lot of trial and error involved, but there's nothing like tapping into a storehouse of knowledge.

This for a 6 gallon batch? Bout 3 cups but make sure it has finished fermenting. Normally the Luva Bella buckets that I have gotten go down to .994.

And be sure to stabilize it also with sulfite and sorbate- just ask Julie if you don't know how much. She's a pretty bright woman.

Latest posts

Back