Best at Home Filter ????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plato

Reaction score
So what are you guys using to filter your wine. Im still collecting equipment and thus far used the old double coffee filter and gravity method. It seemed to work until a couple weeks after bottling I noticed on a bottle of strawberry had a very slight and very fine sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The wine was clear before filtering and botteling. It tatses great but it has me thinking my filtering method is flawed. Im hoping to purchase a better filter system in the near future. What is the best practice until then? Also what brands of equipment are the best at a reasonable price? As I aquire a bigger house with a basement I can set up a proper lab and invest in really good equipment. Thanks in advance

Plato
I know alot of people who use the whole house filtration (see pdf ) for the whole setup for under 30 dollars which includes everything - including 2 filters.This set-up is designed for the Allinonewinepump or a similiar vacuum pump set up or a pressure setup.

View attachment filter setup.pdf

All In One Wine Pump with Steve's recommended Filter setup. My wine has been crystal clear.

Ditto. I've used the minijet and the superjet filters from Buon Vino and they work well. But I have just switched to the allinone with a whole house filter and I don't think I'll go back.

currently using vin brite gravity filter, but should be ordering my allinonewine pump in the next few days, and should be able to then get a whole house filter....steve, keep an eye out for an order going out to michigan....lol....should be getting placed by monday, the latest....lol...

So what are you guys using to filter your wine. Im still collecting equipment and thus far used the old double coffee filter and gravity method. It seemed to work until a couple weeks after bottling I noticed on a bottle of strawberry had a very slight and very fine sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The wine was clear before filtering and botteling. It tatses great but it has me thinking my filtering method is flawed. Im hoping to purchase a better filter system in the near future. What is the best practice until then? Also what brands of equipment are the best at a reasonable price? As I aquire a bigger house with a basement I can set up a proper lab and invest in really good equipment. Thanks in advance

Filtering is not intended to clear your wine. This should be done by using a fining agent or bulk storing and racking the wine until all the sediment is gone. Wine should not be filtered until the wine has been cleared first. Filtering uncleared wine could just plug your filters.

Filtering will polish a cleared wine and make it shine. However, having said that, many wine makers never filter their wine if its just for their own consumption. Filtering or not filtering is a personal choice not a absolutely necessary step in wine making.

Since aging your wine is a good practice you could also use this time to allow it to clear as well. When it gets near bottling time then you can decide if you want to filter or not.

LOUMIK

Believe it or not the wine on the right looked pretty clear in the glass until you hold it up next to the wine after filtering. I used a 5 micron filter with the allinone pump.

200602_10100116753507169_1797258382_n.jpg

399987_10100116753512159_226427857_n.jpg

My first thought was - did the wine set long enough to drop out all the sediment before it was bottled. Running the wine through two coffee filters won't get you much, if the wine has not already dropped all its sediment in the carboy.

Even filtering such wine will do nothing but stop up your filter before all the wine gets through it.

Believe it or not the wine on the right looked pretty clear in the glass until you hold it up next to the wine after filtering. I used a 5 micron filter with the allinone pump.

200602_10100116753507169_1797258382_n.jpg

399987_10100116753512159_226427857_n.jpg
Greg,
No insult intended but the samples on the right do not look clear to me.
LOUMIK

I can let my wine sit for well over a year when it looks crystal clear and if it then sits in the bottle for a good amount of time, additional sediment WILL fall if you aren't filtering your wine. Almost all commercial wineries filter their wine, except for the few that feel it harms the mouthfeel of their big reds (and thus sell unfiltered cabernets).

I think plato has just stumbled on one of the elusive truths in winemaking. Often found in the new winemaker and occasionally in those more experienced.
That is, the essential ingredient called Patience!!!
The temptation to bottle that new wine and start enjoying is great. But the longer the wine sits in the secondary, the better. More fines fall out and the clearer the wine becomes.
Of course, there is no reason not to fill a bottle or two for immediate "testing"!
Wineries filter to hasten output. That is, the sooner the finished wine is out the door, the sooner more wine can be started.
Once you get several wines bottled and shelved, the temptation to quickly bottle is lessened.

Side question....What is everyone doing with their used filters ? Cleaning or only using once. I let mine soak for a couple hours with rinsing in between and changing the water.

Plato,
Let's go somewhere that has not been addressed to this point -- the settlings, post coffee filtering. Let's also say that your wine was clear prior to running it through those coffee filters.
My wife has been a long time Seliac -- gluten intolerant. Wheat, barley, rye, and oats if processed on equipment handling any of the first three. Her coffee filter brand is Melitta. To our knowledge, the only coffee filter NOT treated with FLOUR!! The flour assists in keeping the filters from sticking together. It could be the flour from those filters has settled out from your wine.
In any event, if any of you out there are Seliac, here is another bit for your health!!
This has merely been a comment on what you MIGHT be seeing in the bottles.

Greg,
LOUMIK

None taken. It definitely was not clear. It did look pretty clear in the glass without bright lights. These pictures were taken in front of a window with bright daylight illuminating them. It accentuated the difference significantly.

This peach melomel was a bit stubborn to get all the way clear. I usually don't filter my wines until they are more clear than this but I wanted to get this one in the bottle for some gifts so I tried filtering it and was pleased with the results.

Greg,
LOUMIK

It is the one on the left that was filtered corect ?
I believe that your statement was that you should not filter until it is more clear - correct ?
I was a little confused as I read the last post and going back and forth to understand

I'm new to wine making and will be filtering with a Boun Vino Mini Jet Filter My question is can i use all #2 filters or should i use a #1,2and 3 filter? I have a friend who uses the 1,2,3 step but i have read that all #2 is ok

gizmo206 said:
I'm new to wine making and will be filtering with a Boun Vino Mini Jet Filter My question is can i use all #2 filters or should i use a #1,2and 3 filter? I have a friend who uses the 1,2,3 step but i have read that all #2 is ok

I use only the no.2 for red wine and it comes out crystal clear.

I have the mini jet also and mainly use the #2 unless it looks cloudy or hazy in a glass. Then I'll use a #1 and settle for a couple weeks before filtering with a #2 before bottling.

I am new to this hobby! I see all this talk about filtering the wine. When in the process should it be filtered? I am Using a juice kit!

Thanks everyone for the reply i think i will rack it once after clearing before bottling then let it settle and use all # 2s

Latest posts

Back